Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2010, 09:09 PM

Greg,
Hans and I are gonna try bow-fishing for them this year. Talked to a mate down south, he said they make good (not great) crab trap bait. We are gonna test that theory. Looks like I better get my gear together.
Cheers,
Bob
Old 05-30-2010, 10:06 PM

Bob, You are wasting your time trying to use the rays for crab bait. They would be fun to shoot with a bow though............Gary
Old 05-31-2010, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the info. Does the western side look like that too?
Old 06-01-2010, 09:38 AM

I have question, I'm not hijacking the thread. When I fished on the De. Bay everyone said those cownosed rays were very poisonous. The stinger at the base of their tail was supposed to be 1 1/2" long and if stung it was the same venum as a king cobra snake. You would halocignate and be in the hospital for 2 weeks. Is this true?
Old 06-01-2010, 11:22 AM

Things are indeed firing early this year. We tore the 12 inch croakers up yesterday, so the good is going along with the bad. Real drag about the algae blooms though.

As for the cow nose rays and the stingers? Yes, I do believe that those suckers do have stingers, but someone should confirm this...
Old 06-01-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie View Post
I have question, I'm not hijacking the thread. When I fished on the De. Bay everyone said those cownosed rays were very poisonous. The stinger at the base of their tail was supposed to be 1 1/2" long and if stung it was the same venum as a king cobra snake. You would halocignate and be in the hospital for 2 weeks. Is this true?
I don't think it's as bad as a king cobra, but a lot worse than a bee sting. I've read about people who thought they were gonna die after getting hit by one. Capt. John Smith got a stinger in the leg on one of his explorations and went as far as planning his burial. Turns out he recovered fast and ate the culprit for dinner.

"Catch & Release - A picture is worth a thousand fish"
Old 06-01-2010, 02:32 PM

Shawn your right about the Rays they are early. It's loaded with them by my house this weekend. Here is one that we caught at the dock.
DSC_8339_2.jpg
Old 06-02-2010, 08:22 AM

As the Ray population continues to grow - expect to see them earlier and in more places.
Last summer I saw a few about 3 miles up in the Severn - first time ever in 35 years being on that water.

Funny thing - some dive charters in other countries are benefitting from this.
The Rays migrate far south in winter and scuba divers will pay to see them underwater. Talk about making lemonade from lemons.

They do have a barbed stinger close to where the tail meets their body. The tail itself can be used like a whip .

Love to see someone figure out a use for them. The damage they do to oysters and clams is unreal. They even root up sea grass going after soft crabs.

In late summer - heard of them grabbing crabs off trotlines.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:36 AM

Maybe it is time to try one for dinner!!!

"Trish Murphey, biologist with the North Carolina Division of Marine Fisheries (DMF), tasted cownose ray at a Virginia Sea Grant conference.

Murphey said the texture was “pleasant, not chewy,” and the flavor was very mild.

“All of the samples I tried were either marinated or served with a sauce, probably because the taste was so mild,” she said"

http://www.islandfreepress.org/2008A...ytimeSoon.html

Last edited by B-Faithful; 06-02-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
Maybe it is time to try one for dinner!!!

"Trish Murphey, biologist with the North Carolina Division of Marine Fisheries (DMF), tasted cownose ray at a Virginia Sea Grant conference.

Murphey said the texture was “pleasant, not chewy,” and the flavor was very mild.

“All of the samples I tried were either marinated or served with a sauce, probably because the taste was so mild,” she said"

http://www.islandfreepress.org/2008A...ytimeSoon.html

OK Greg....you go first....several times. ... and report back!