Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2011, 10:39 PM

When it comes to a discussion on spot burning, I'm more inclined to take the advice of good fishermen.

"Most fishermen swiftly learn that it's a pretty good rule never to show a favorite spot to any fisherman you wouldn't trust with your wife" - John Voelker

"Catch & Release - A picture is worth a thousand fish"

Last edited by Shawn Kimbro; 02-21-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Kimbro View Post
When it comes to a discussion on spot burning, I'm more inclined to take the advice of good fishermen.

"Most fishermen swiftly learn that it's a pretty good rule never to show a favorite spot to any fisherman you wouldn't trust with your wife" - John Voelker
That is a great quote but some spots are so well known that you would never take your wife near............Gary
Old 02-22-2011, 11:58 AM

I've seen Shawn's wife; I don't know why the man ever goes fishing.
5th (Marty)
Old 02-22-2011, 12:06 PM

I think there has been an over sensativity towards the rips this year. It is understandable as it is an area that has gotten a lot of attention as of late. Lets face it, a boat sunk there getting a lot of attention and the advertised fishing has been the best it has been in 15 years according to those who work it on a regular basis. Now combine this with the fact that more northern discharges are not producing nearly as well and the attention focuses on the area. Those that earn their living by taking people fishing should be advertising the business. Some are using newsletters, craigslist ads, facebook pages, or even forum posts. You can say that they should have more discretion but lets face it, they have to give an area to where they are fishing so their clients know where they are fishing from in order to book trips.

While the increased attention may lead to an additional boat or two, I dont think it will result in over-crowding the location. First of all not many people are going to fish it in Jan and Feb because of weather and the fact that it is an out of the way area. It is nearly a 20 mile run from Chesapeake Beach or nearly 15 miles from the solomons ramp (breezy is closed). This time of year it likely that we have a decent day weather-wise for half a day. Even the last time I took my boat there (because Pete was booked) we had a nice morning weather-wise but had to run home in winds gusting well over 20 knots with solid 2'-3' seas for nearly 20 miles and we left by noon. We also had to break through 3/4" ice at Ches beach just to get out. The trip can be dangerous with the water and air temperatures, espcially in a smaller boat. Now combine the longer run, weather, safety risks and the fact that most are winterized and it generally is only the true die hards are willing to make the trip. Even for guys like me who dont winterize, it is often much easier, safer and about the same cost to take a charter trip with someone like walleye pete or another local guide.

The attention may be upsetting to some who put the effort forward to fish themselves but I am glad for guys like Pete who seems to be doing well already this year after a tough fall due to a lack luster CBBT season. I am sure as March approaches and we get more breaks in the weather that more catch and release fishermen will be on the water (still at relatively low participation levels). By then, there will be other fishing opportunities that people can take advantage of. Trolling will become effective again and the flats will begin to produce larger rockfish. These other opportunities will dispurse the potential for increased pressure. I know once I can start taking weekly trips in my own back yard, the longer trip down south will be less appealing

Last edited by B-Faithful; 02-22-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
. Now combine this with the fact that more northern discharges are not producing nearly as well and the attention focuses on the area.
Who are you trying to fool, the Northern Discharges are, and have been on fire and producing some great fish. Now, they havn't had people talking about them all the time, but give me a break. I will not say which ones, but the people that know how to fish them, and fish them regularly know they are producing just fine.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:41 PM

Greg, I believe last year someone took you to one of the northern discharges, and you reported on it but didn't burn the spot. A lot of people, myself included congratulated you on your nice fish. Those same people would be doing the same this year if you used more discretion. It doesn't do any good to point to somebody whose livelihood depends on chartering as an excuse. When you burn spots you disrespect your fellow fishermen who fish those spots. Continuing to defend it just makes you look worse. It isn't about who says the most words and talks last. It's about mutual respect.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:56 PM

Shawn, if you look at the same thread on TF, you will see that I didnt mention the location anywhere in the post. I only mentioned that I fished with Pete and how comfortable we were on his boat for a day that didnt go above freezing. I even did so after a discussion with Pete. The photos we took were also not disclosing anything either. (same photos as here)

I did mention the location here on CB angler as very few read this board and everyone here knows where pete is fishing. Since it is of obvious concern to you and some others, I will not mention the area here in the future either and plan on using more discretion..

Last edited by B-Faithful; 02-22-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:00 PM

It's a lose-lose argument when you talk about spot burning. Everybody, pro or con comes out looking like a bad guy. Some mailing lists have rules against it. Brandon has endorsed it on TF. I would report a lot more on CBAngler if there was a no-spot burning policy.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:16 PM

Pete has been fishing the rips ever since he learned to fish (this area)from Pete Dressler.

He used to get yelled at quite a bit for anchoring in the flow and blocking people's drift. There were 3 or 4 that had a habit of doing that.

More then 3 boats fishing the drift and the fish soon get spooked.

Last edited by reds; 02-22-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Kimbro View Post
It's a lose-lose argument when you talk about spot burning. Everybody, pro or con comes out looking like a bad guy. Some mailing lists have rules against it. Brandon has endorsed it on TF. I would report a lot more on CBAngler if there was a no-spot burning policy.
Mr Kimbro, It's a losing battle. As long as he gets to mention Judge he could care less. I was fishing Brandon Shores in a Sea Hunt cc the other day below freezing and was quite comfortable! Is it ok now BFaithful? 9 boats at the rips the other day. Normally this time of year it's 2-3 boats if that. This is all due to the reports on here and Toilet Flush and the fact you all love to continue to point out it's no secret. The big fish bite is dead because of the traffic, and Reds nailed it on the head. Pete is a liability there for reasons mentioned above and he runs that loud Honda the entire time.