Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 07-01-2011, 04:50 PM

Default No Spot - No problem - Limit- 7/1 w pics

I was all set to head to work this morning when the steam fitter called and told me they were not complete. I install pipe insulation and can not do my job until they are finished. It was too nice not to head out on the water so I made a few quick calls hoping to round up a buddy but all could not go on such short notice.

Hooked up the boat and my son's black Lab - Ruckus barked and whined , so I took him along. Not sure if he enjoys the boat or the fresh Perch fillets but he sure leaped into the truck.

On the way , called a few TFers I knew were fishing. Hoped for good intell on Spot but all reported very slow bite for them. I knew the outgoing current would be moving until about 1:30 near Sandy Point and launching at 10:00 did not give me much time to find Spot.

Said the heck with it and decided to go Perch fishing instead. Although small - Perch fillets are a great treat. Ruckus likes them raw - I prefer mine fried. Ran to an oyster bottom in 22 feet and dropped anchor. North breeze made for a light chop but felt good as it kept the heat off. Dropped a two hook bottom rig and then tried out my Father's Day present. Wife and kids gave me a tiny UL rig for Perch. Penn 4200 reel and a 6 foot UL St. Criox rod. With 6 lb braid - an 11 inch Perch doubles it over.

I like to keep 10 Perch over 10 inches - anything smaller is tough to fillet and more then ten Perch makes for a lot of filleting. Current was moving nice and Perch were hitting fairly fast. Got a few double headers and while reeling in - swore something took a swipe at one of the Perch.

I have a theory - when reeling in fish , the way the fight and struggle draws in bigger fish. Seen it offshore with Bluefish - catching them and in comes a big shark. I figured it must have been a Rock chasing the Perch so I got out a live lining rig. The Perch over 10 inches were going into my cooler - although two were filleted on the boat for Ruckus.

I hoped to get a small Perch or even better - a Spot - for bait. All the Perch were what I term bastards - too big for bait but too small to eat. No lie , had to have caught about 25 Perch 8-9 inches long. Took a gamble and put one over the side on a baitrunner with 3/8 oz weight. Figured it was better then nothing. Had a blast with the UL rig - the bigger Perch really pulled and struggled.

Well , I'm guessing those struggles drew some attention because soon the baitrunner was singing. Let the fish go for a ten count and set the hook. Fish pulled well but soon the fat 23 incher was in the boat. Ruckus thought it was his and tried to bite the fish as it wiggled across the deck.

So much for an 8 1/2 inch Perch being too big for bait. Dropped down the UL and got another 9 inch Perch. Out he went on the live line rig. I dropped Perch number ten in the cooler - could almost taste them already.

I looked at Ruckus and asked him a stupid question - Are you hungry , boy ?

Labs are always hungry so I filleted one more Perch for him. Tossed the carcass over the side - forgetting Ruckus is a retriever . Luckily I got his collar before he went over the side. Watched the baitrunner line as it was jumping around - then went slack. Hmmm , sure enough - another Rock had taken the Perch and was moving up current. Set the hook and more / less reeled the surprised 24 incher straight up and into the net.

Current was slowing down so decided to head in. Took a look around with the fish finder and saw a few nice blips at 15 to 17 feet. Guessing they were drawn in by the Perch catching.

Rockfish are not picky eaters - more opportunist then anything. I'm thinking since there seems to be few Spot around so far this year but plenty of Perch , the Rock are feeding on either one. No doubt they prefer a live Spot.

Last summer when Spot were thick - Perch were ignored by Rockfish. I would catch one on a Spot - then try 2-3 Perch with no luck. Drop down another Spot and boom - Rock would hit it.

Only trouble - now I need a new name for those 7-9 inch Perch. No longer calling them bastard when they catch nice Rock for me.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:52 PM

I assume that the rock can't find spot either. I hope the spot show up soon. That sure is a good looking Lab Skip! Perch taste better than rock any way.........Gary