Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2013, 01:20 PM

Default A meeting you don't want to miss

On Monday night, I will be presenting a Power Point presentation on Mycobacterium marinum (fish handlers disease), MRSA (methicillin resistant Staph. aureus), and Vibrio (Vibrio vulnificus). The good news is that I have someone from the State Health Dept. coming as well. My area of expertice is with Myco. only. I have a general background and can answer some questions about MRSA and Vibrio, but Dr. David Blythe, assistant director of the Office of Infectious Disease Epidemiology and Outbreak Response, will be there to answer questions.
I have called in some favors (from my years of working with DHMH) to get Dr. Blythe (or a representative) to appear at our meeting.
We all know of Tawn's and Charlie's infections this summer. Tawn will be at the meeting to give an account of his experience. Charlie wishes he could be available, but he is receiving skin grafts this week on his legs. Keep Charlie in your prayers, he still has a way to go until full recovery.

Rick, from Fishoff Gloves will be there at my request. He will be selling his gloves. They are a great option for preventing some of these infections.

Capt. John Whittman will be there selling his spoons, spreader bars, and umbrella's just in time for the Blues and Spanish Mackerel.

The MSSA meeting will be held at the American Legion Post #175. It is on Manhattan Beach Rd, Severna Park, Md. 21146. Doors open at 7pm and the meeting starts at 7:30pm. Please try to attend.
5th (Marty)
Old 08-14-2013, 04:04 PM

Marty , thanks for posting and also for volunteering your time to teach us about these nasty diseases.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Marty , thanks for posting and also for volunteering your time to teach us about these nasty diseases.
Skip,
It's my pleasure. With both Tawn and Charlie getting infections this year, it proves that none of us are immune to contracting infections from the bay. While rare, these are fast acting organisms (MRSA & Vibrio) that need immediate attention. Both Tawn and Charlie had to be surprised when they were seen at one hospital and quickly transported to another hospital because they needed specialized care.
I am by no means an expert on all three of these organisms, but if we can simply send the message that "time is of the essence" when treating, we will have accomplished a great deal.
Please come, see the photos of Tawn and Charlie, be aware and informed.
5th
Old 08-15-2013, 06:12 PM

Anybody planning on attending? I promised the Dr. From the State at least 20-25 people
5th
Old 08-15-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Anybody planning on attending? I promised the Dr. From the State at least 20-25 people
5th
Marty,
I really wish I could attend but my son and I are taking the MD Hunter Safety course. Do you think you should see a doc right after being stuck or wait and see if it becomes red/inflamed?
Old 08-15-2013, 07:18 PM

Marty,

My one arm and I are going to try....

If you need 20 people, I can gather up drunks and kids from the neighborhood and bring them with me...

Mike
Old 08-15-2013, 07:39 PM

I would love to be there but am supposed to be in Elmira, NY Monday- Thursday. If something changes, I am in. If not, I expect you to provide good notes

Old 08-15-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockleyneck View Post
Marty,
I really wish I could attend but my son and I are taking the MD Hunter Safety course. Do you think you should see a doc right after being stuck or wait and see if it becomes red/inflamed?
Definitely wait! These are still rare infections. However, once you know for sure that you have a problem (looks worse than a normal stick), the clock is ticking.

Charlie got stuck in the morning (9am?), knew he had a bothersome stick at dinner (red, itching), went to bed but couldn't sleep? Turned on bedroom lights at 2am, to see a big blister formed. Called ambulance and started fighting to save his leg
5th
Old 08-15-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlien View Post
Marty,

My one arm and I are going to try....

If you need 20 people, I can gather up drunks and kids from the neighborhood and bring them with me...

Mike
Mike, if you are going to pick up people at random; swing by Baltimore Street and make it interesting. Maybe the Dr. can talk a little about some other types of infections

I'll see you there, hope you can drink left handed
5th
Old 08-15-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessie27 View Post
I would love to be there but am supposed to be in Elmira, NY Monday- Thursday. If something changes, I am in. If not, I expect you to provide good notes
Jeff, if Mike swings through Baltimore's "Block", I was counting on you to bring the exam table and stirrups
5th