Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-15-2013, 08:46 PM

Default Barnicals

My boat has been in the slip since March I didn't have it covered this winter because I knew I was having some things done to it before spring. I added a couple rod holders, had the ECM on the motor replaced and also the O2 sensor.
Around my house, the Maple trees drop those red blossoms that stain the deck. Then the "helicopters" fall by the millions soon after. To avoid this barrage, I put the boat in the slip before these events I knew the water was cold and the bottom wouldn't foul during the early weeks. The last several weeks have been a different story. I met Skip to use my sidescan/downscan to locate some anchors, and I knew my returns weren't what I expected. I suspected the transducers were fouled
I pulled the boat this week and sure enough, they were fouled. After I power washed the green "gunk" off, I was afforded a good look at the barnicals
Some scrapping with a putty knife and screwdriver (in the hard to reach areas) got them looking almost as good as new.
I will try to post a before and after photo. Sure wish I had a lift slip like somebody with red curtains That would be sweet
5th (Marty)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barnical.jpg (55.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg clean.jpg (49.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 06-15-2013, 10:13 PM

At least your bottom paint still looks good.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:32 PM

Hey Marty - I was wondering if putting some anti-fouling paint on those transducers (HDS & LSS) would affect their ability to operate correctly. Gotta be a better way.....

Here you go....Check out this thread I found over on THT....
http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-e...ing-paint.html

Don
Old 06-16-2013, 04:49 AM

Sounds like you need to use your boat more! Barnacles can't hit a moving target .

I have been in since early April as well. Since she didn't get over until Oct last year, I didn't bother painting the bottom this spring. I need to pull and see what I got happening under there one of these days soon. I have put about 150 hours on it so far this season so I am hoping for the best.

As for transducer paints, someone helping me paint the old boat's bottom covered it by mistake with standard West Marine Bottomshield (the cheap stuff) and it seemed to screw up the water temp sensor, unless the bay often heats up to 120*F in the spring??? That was a Garmin 2010C. I usually run them naked and scrape every so often.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:26 AM

Thanks Don; Ive seen that transducer paint before and never tried it. My old boat (without the swim platform\bracket) was easy to clean while in the water. This one is harder to reach. I will be pulling the boat more often to trailer south (ches beach\point lookout) so it shouldn't be a problem. I just tried to press my luck a little to far this spring
5th (Marty)
Old 06-16-2013, 08:17 AM

Ha Marty,
It is probably not so new anymore, but congratulations on the new boat. The transducer anti foul paints do work pretty well but are not cheap. More trips down south sound like fun. You retired guys get to have all the fun. Maybe you can stay with Don is the rolling Richitt Ritz.

Last edited by Hockleyneck; 06-16-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:53 AM

Rich, good to see you back on the board Good news/bad neews; one reason I took the job as mate on Patent Pending was to get to know an area of water (south) as well as I know the upper bay. Now that I'm familiar with the area, I want to fish it more often It's a long ride from Bodkin Creek so trailering is a better option.

I enjoy the slip. I can take the wife down for dinner and watch the sunset in a little cove. I can run down to the boat and catch spot outside of the creek for livelinning. I can go down and work on some tackle and BS with the other guys at the marina.

I just wish the fishing was as good as the midbay. This year, maybe it will be. After all this rain, I expect to see an increase in algae blooms and a loss of oxygen. I hope I'm wrong and the upper bay stays productive.

I haven't seen that yellow regulator very often. What's up?
5th (Marty)
Old 06-16-2013, 10:53 AM

Sometimes when I'm diving - 2-3 boats will come over to get a quick cleaning of the transducer and raw water intakes.

The captains know when the transducer is getting fouled due to needing more gain.

When they know I'm in the water - they swing over. Only takes 5 minutes - they notice huge difference right away.

If it gets dirty again - just call me. As long as your slip has some type ladder for me to get out - easy job.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:28 AM

Bought the boat back from Solomons yesterday. She was in the water for 8 weeks.......
The bottom paint definitely need a touch up. I lost about 2000 rpms on the top and some speed. Had a ton of s*** and barnacles on the transducer and trim tab. The lower was barnacled pretty good. Brout her home and scraped her down. The community now smells like a marina. Trash men have a surprise comming

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot
Old 06-30-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Rich, good to see you back on the board Good news/bad neews; one reason I took the job as mate on Patent Pending was to get to know an area of water (south) as well as I know the upper bay. Now that I'm familiar with the area, I want to fish it more often It's a long ride from Bodkin Creek so trailering is a better option.

I enjoy the slip. I can take the wife down for dinner and watch the sunset in a little cove. I can run down to the boat and catch spot outside of the creek for livelinning. I can go down and work on some tackle and BS with the other guys at the marina.

I just wish the fishing was as good as the midbay. This year, maybe it will be. After all this rain, I expect to see an increase in algae blooms and a loss of oxygen. I hope I'm wrong and the upper bay stays productive.

I haven't seen that yellow regulator very often. What's up?
5th (Marty)
All is good Marty. My family and business have been keeping me pretty busy which I truly appreciate. I have not been on my boat nearly as much as I like, but I have been fishing the upper bay some. Seven Foot Knoll, Rock Hall, Love Point and Podickery are good for a quicky. Kind of like being married for a while, sometimes you just need a few minutes. I would love to see you and some of the other guys. Glad you finally got the boat you wanted and are getting a chance to use it.