Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2016, 12:46 PM

Default Epic

Disclaimer, I hate writing, all fish were released very healthy, all lures had single hooks with barbs mashed down, and I apologize if some pictures are upside down.
on to the report, sorry for the length, difficult to explain.

That's all I can say. I had the best day ever on my boat, by myself.
I launched out of SPSP just before 10:00 on Saturday, headed to the ESRP, nada, rode to Hackett's down to Tolley's marking nothing, Saw a few gannetts milling around. Set a course from 35' near Tolley's headed towards Bloody, and started putting out 5 board rods, 2 singles, and 3 tandems and off that back 1 umbrella, 16oz out 100 ft. By the time I got the spread out I was headed due east towards Matapeake because of the wind coming from the south. I started seeing bait in the 40'-60' depths near the anchored ships, so I started chasing Gannett's that always seemed to dive about a half mile away. After about an hour with nothing, I noticed 6-8 gannett's coming from all different directions headed due east, so I decided to head accross the channel to the east side, and sure enough there were small seagulls, large seagulls and gannett's sitting, and hovering, but not working the water. So I swung through and my umbrella doubles over, I grab the rod and no sooner than I get a couple of cranks in, a board rod pops. 2 on at once!!! Finish with that, exhausted, get the spread reset without the umbrella because the connector was pulled out straight, noticed after fish was released.
Swing back through the same spot and get another hit, grab the rod, and another rod gets hit, I move the 2nd rod to the opposite side of the boat, then a 3rd rod doubles over. I land the 1st one, go to the 2nd rod, it's too heavy, so I put it back in the holder and grab the 3rd rod, then I get a 4th hit. I land and release the 3rd rod, not worried about the 4th because that fish went in front of the planer board and got wrapped around it somehow. go back to the 2nd rod and work it in, I have never had such a heavy load, it ended up being a double header 38-39" guessing(pictured). get that rod in and head to the 4th rod, put the boat in neutral, and the fish swims to the back of the boat and gets itself untangled from the board. get that one landed and released. So at this point there is only 1 line still in the water, I look over after I put the boat back in gear and it is not clipped to the board line anymore, there is another friggin fish on. Damnit. Fortunately, he came unglued, thank god. So, 2 fish on the first pass, 5 fish on the 2nd pass and one that came unglued.
I relax for about a half hour and start heading for the bridge, slowly deploying lines and I pick up one more as I am clearing my lines near the anchored ships about an hour later. went back to the rock pile and once again, nada.
So, My list of 1sts on my boat.
A double header,
2 rods on at once
4 rods on at once
a board line getting caught on the planer board.
a fastener getting pulled straight
my previous total landed was 7 fish.
on the water around 10 and off the water by 2:30, short trip.
How big does everyone think that one fish is laying on my deck next to the yard stick, I am thinking over 40"?? Is that a good enough picture to get a citation at Angler's?
Had a good time talking to Jason on the Rocking Robin and someone from the Supreme 2. Back at it next weekend, weather permitting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0789.jpg (85.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0790.JPG (32.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0792.JPG (35.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0796.jpg (75.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0803.JPG (37.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0804.JPG (33.2 KB, 37 views)
Old 03-28-2016, 03:21 PM

Now that's a good trip! Hope a pattern like that either gets better or stays just like it was. Can't complain when five rods go down, usually in me case it's either bottom or the dreaded cow nose ray!
Old 03-28-2016, 04:10 PM

Jalopy, we have to rewrite your post to say, "Had a decent day, caught a few fish, boat ran well and spread worked fine"

Remember how we got stuck with PSCR restrictions
5th
Old 03-28-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Jalopy, we have to rewrite your post to say, "Had a decent day, caught a few fish, boat ran well and spread worked fine"

Remember how we got stuck with PSCR restrictions
5th
Remove all blood from the pictures. If you post to Toilet Flush.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:45 PM

thats why I did not put it on TF
Old 03-28-2016, 05:55 PM

Awesome - congrats.

FWIW: I think a release citation has to clearly show length on a measuring device. Yours in longer then yard stick but tough to guess how much bigger. I use a 48 inch one with a 90* at end to put fish nose against.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:47 PM

Thumbs up

Great day!! Congrats
Old 03-28-2016, 10:31 PM

Great trip! Congrats.
So what was the cause of the engine trouble in the fall?
Old 03-29-2016, 05:12 AM

I beleive that $hit-eating grin says it all!! Nice day John

Old 03-29-2016, 05:44 AM

Nice job. They are the days that keep you coming back.

27 Judge "HOOK 'EM"
bhl (Bruce)