Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 12-11-2015, 08:26 PM

Default Plo 12/11/15

Another great day down south Crew today was Alan, Jason, and Capt. John. We picked up Mako Mike along rt2 for a buddy boat; and to have an extra boat looking for fish We knew Jeff (Justified) was going to be in the area as well.

Launched around 7:30am and I had my mind made up we were going to bypass any bird activity we saw in the river. Last week, we spent too much time jigging "shorts" before dropping my trolling lines.

Ran to my designated area and threw out the boards. Boat rods went next. We had some intel from the previous day and we ran East/West from the channel (80+ ft) to 40ft. Our first three hits were knockdowns It was early, but I started doubting myself already Was I running too slow, too fast, did I have my spread too high, or too low, what gives?

Stay steady I told myself. Have confidence in what you have out there!! Not long afterward, we started a slow pick of low 20 fish. We resisted throwing the just legal size in the box and we found ourselves with 3 decent fish in the box.

There were fish here, but not what we were looking for I swung around to get back to deep water and we saw birds working out near the channel. Now we had to get there before the action ended!! As I got close to the channel edge (56 ft) I started seeing better marks on the meter. Get ready, here we go.

It was constant action from west of channel, across the channel, over to the eastern side of the channel, and even after we turned north to get away from the fish, we were still in good marks and caught fish as we cleared lines.

We had our 8 in the hoax and had probably released 15-20 more mid to upper 20 inch fish. Todays fish weren't quite as big as Sundays, but rods were going down one after the other for a good 30-45 minutes.

After we had rods racked and stored, we broke out the jigging rods
I won't deny it; I'm a troller. I troll to get my fish; then play with them on the jig. Now I wish we had saved a few spots for the fish on the jig We were jigging 26-31 inch fish!! Jason had the largest (see photo). This was fun.

The bite slowed, and we saw a wonderful display of gannets feeding in shallow water (25 ft). There must have been 30-50 flying high, setting up, then diving almost like watching a giant Hawaiian wave crest and fall. They were diving 4, 5 ,6 at a time and just continually. Quite a sight to see. But; no fish under them, just bait

I ducked back to where the jig bite had been, and found a few more fish to bring over the side and release. Somewhere around 1:30, we decided to head for the barn and scout for birds on the way back to PLO. Nothing happening in the river, so we loaded the trailer and headed home.

I feel truly blessed to be able to fish with everyone who was down there. The radio stayed busy with Justified, Mako Mike, and me (5th Tuition) passing along information and and reeling in fish. Quite a day
5th

p.s. It was not constant action all day. The post reads that way, but you have to put in your time to find the bigger schools, then work them productively once you find them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1966.jpg (98.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 12-12-2015, 04:07 AM

It was a fun day!!! A bit slow to start but a VERY strong finish. We had somewhere around 25 fish total. Kept 8 from 23-28" (just the right size for the dinner plate).
I resisted taking boards with me on this trip so we were limited to boat rods. Pulled 7 with a mix of umbrellas and tandems. 1 white umb with chart backs caught 75% of the fish. We fished just outside of the fleet and were able to box 3 fish within the first 20-30 minutes. Then things slowed but it was a steady pick all day and ended in with a bang. Started in 45' and fished to 80'

Even jogged up what WOULD have been the 2nd biggest fish in the box if it wasn't already full. Headed back down there today (from Solomns) this morning before making the 90 mile run north to Tolchester.

It sure helps having a buddy boat or 2 out there with you. Marty and Mike and I were all a able to to make the trip a success thanks to teamwork. Hopefully Greg and I will have another great "December" day on the bay!

Old 12-12-2015, 07:46 AM

Thanks again for a great day, Marty!
Glad to hear you got into them as well Jeff... nice work! And good luck today!
Old 12-12-2015, 10:41 AM

Was in fact another great day on the southern waters of the Chesapeake bay. Like everyone else started slow for us but boy did it finish with a bang! Once we found them and they were hungry it was game on! Multiple hook ups fish all over the deck it was mayhem! Hottest rig for me both weeks has been a 18 tony fished on wire line, with 28 oz weight bouncing bottom! Nothing like catching 30+ fish on wire line, feels like you got a seamonster on other end.
If the Ravens had teamwork like Marty, Jeff and l had yesterday they would be heading to the Super Bowl! Thanks again guys, team work paid off again!
Old 12-14-2015, 12:35 PM

thanks for the call on thur 5th. me and my brother-in-law made it to plo about 7:50 started out about 8 but my boat is low profile and there was enough chop that i couldnt slow down to trolling speed or water would come over the front so we trailered back up river and didnt have much luck. we did make it out to just north of r70 on sun caught 1 at 26" and couple more about 22" again thanks for the info
Old 12-14-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclelakeman View Post
thanks for the call on thur 5th. me and my brother-in-law made it to plo about 7:50 started out about 8 but my boat is low profile and there was enough chop that i couldnt slow down to trolling speed or water would come over the front so we trailered back up river and didnt have much luck. we did make it out to just north of r70 on sun caught 1 at 26" and couple more about 22" again thanks for the info
Glad to be of help. It was a little choppy in the morning. Things got flat later in the afternoon. Good to see you brought some fish home for the table.
5th