Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
On the way off chance these nets were put out by some one other then a commercial fisherman - how did they manage to set them just right to be loaded with fish ? A long gill net is not simple to deploy correctly.

Wait - Skip is friends with Greg - must have used his scuba gear to put Rockfish in the nets

I really hope the poacher (s) are caught.
Did you use your scuba gear on the illegal charters???
Old 02-03-2011, 08:25 PM

for all the MSSA backers that are turning this into a "ban all nets" campaign, do you really believe that banning all nets will stop "ILLEGAL POACHING WITH NETS"? It is illegal, I mean, they aren't doing it legally now, so why would they stop if you ban netting?????? Because it would be illegal?? REALLY??
Old 02-04-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JigStix View Post
for all the MSSA backers that are turning this into a "ban all nets" campaign, do you really believe that banning all nets will stop "ILLEGAL POACHING WITH NETS"? It is illegal, I mean, they aren't doing it legally now, so why would they stop if you ban netting?????? Because it would be illegal?? REALLY??
I agree on this, its like banning guns to eliminate murder. There needs to be much tougher penalties and an incentive for self policing by waterman and buyers.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds View Post
Did you use your scuba gear on the illegal charters???
Why the personal attacks?
Old 02-04-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockleyneck View Post
Why the personal attacks?
That's a joke right?
Old 02-04-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
That's a joke right?
Reds it was not meant as a joke. Skip is the last guy who would set nets, and the back and forth is not getting us anywhere. I know you do not think its a waterman and respect your opinion. I am not calling for a ban on nets because that would hurt the honest guys. It also would not stop the illegal netting. Whoever set those nets is screwing every person who fishes for stripers regardless of whether its for a living or recreation. Lets hammer the people who set the nets and not each other.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockleyneck View Post
Reds it was not meant as a joke. Skip is the last guy who would set nets, and the back and forth is not getting us anywhere. I know you do not think its a waterman and respect your opinion. I am not calling for a ban on nets because that would hurt the honest guys. It also would not stop the illegal netting. Whoever set those nets is screwing every person who fishes for stripers regardless of whether its for a living or recreation. Lets hammer the people who set the nets and not each other.
I'd be glad to hammer them. Tell me who they are???? MSSA?, CCA?, Poachers?

DNR doesn't know, so my guess is as good as anyone else.

What I see are 2 lawsuits coming out of this.
one for the DNR selling the rockfish and keeping the money instead of giving it to charity.

The second for closing the rock season, with no proof, of who set the nets.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
one for the DNR selling the rockfish and keeping the money instead of giving it to charity.
reds- there is actually a law (or laws) that allows the Law Enforcement Agency to Seize and sell the proceeds of "Illegal" activity. Like when the cars and trucks of Drug Dealers (with no valid income) are seized, sold and the money is put right back to the seizing agency. Also the cash that is seized in raids and such is put right back to the agency (actually it's not 100% but a large portion) that seized it.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I'd be glad to hammer them. Tell me who they are???? MSSA?, CCA?, Poachers?

DNR doesn't know, so my guess is as good as anyone else.

What I see are 2 lawsuits coming out of this.

The second for closing the rock season, with no proof, of who set the nets.
The whole thing sucks for everyone. Not sure who screwed the pooch, but I bet the legal waterman are not happy about losing the rest of the season.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdCrappie View Post
reds- there is actually a law (or laws) that allows the Law Enforcement Agency to Seize and sell the proceeds of "Illegal" activity. Like when the cars and trucks of Drug Dealers (with no valid income) are seized, sold and the money is put right back to the seizing agency. Also the cash that is seized in raids and such is put right back to the agency (actually it's not 100% but a large portion) that seized it.
Sounds like a gray area here, because there are no persons arrested and the nets should have been pulled when discovered, instead of being put back.

If they don't catch the poachers, they get to keep the proceeds from the sale.
Looks like an inducement to leave the nets over as long as possible.

Last edited by reds; 02-04-2011 at 04:02 PM.