Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2017, 05:48 AM

Default What's up with this Weather??

It Blooooows! Between the windy weather and the lack of fish being caught, I may write this trophy season off while I'm "ahead". I've only been out 3 times and was fortunate enough to catch A fish the first trip, get skunked the 2nd trip, and boated 3 the third trip (2 of which were released). With the MSSA tourney and the crappy forecast, I may get a few more things done around the house this weekend. USUALLY that would be a good thing and help keep the Mrs happy but in my case she is pi$$ed to have only be out on the boat once this year so far. Who would've known having a boating wife would be an occasional bad thing?

Old 05-03-2017, 07:22 AM

Ha, I think that the women in our lives are confused by the lack of ambition to get out. I have done four trips, total of three fish and frankly feel lucky to have caught those.

After the last trip on Sunday, I did some extra cleaning, put the spring rigs in the basement, planer boards in the shed and threw the full boat cover on. When I walked in the house, my wife gave me a confused look and said something like "why are you putting the cover on, isn't it fishing season." Truthfully, between work and family obligations I am a bit tied up over the next couple of weeks but if the fishing were great I know I would find a way.

Good luck to all that are fishing the MSSA and be safe out there! I will be fishing cut bait in a couple of weeks.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:36 AM

Dave says; "To all who are fishing the MSSA tournament, good luck, and be safe out there."

Ain't that the truth I'm seeing possible gusts to 40mph on Friday
Add the possibility of rain, and it may be miserable.

I even had a friend call and ask what type of shoes I wore in the rain while chartering to keep my feet dry!! Along with proper rain gear, I always wore L.L.Bean duck boots. They had enough support to keep my feet from getting tired and sore, and they did a decent job of keeping me dry. The photo I sent him is below

Of course the alternative is "TITS" (Tilghman Island Tennis Shoes); the white boots you see commercial guys wearing

So, stay dry and safe.
5th
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2390.jpg (98.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 05-03-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessie27 View Post
It Blooooows! Between the windy weather and the lack of fish being caught, I may write this trophy season off while I'm "ahead". I've only been out 3 times and was fortunate enough to catch A fish the first trip, get skunked the 2nd trip, and boated 3 the third trip (2 of which were released). With the MSSA tourney and the crappy forecast, I may get a few more things done around the house this weekend. USUALLY that would be a good thing and help keep the Mrs happy but in my case she is pi$$ed to have only be out on the boat once this year so far. Who would've known having a boating wife would be an occasional bad thing?
Let me know if any of those "things around the house" involve cleaning the basement. I may stop over and go through the "trash".

I may go for a ride in the Judge Jr. depending on the direction of the wind. #judgeyachtweather
Old 05-03-2017, 03:49 PM

As for the weather great it's gonna blow! Makes working on roofs doing commercial HVAC more enjoyable because I don't feel like I'm missing anything when the winds howling or pour down rain.
As for rain gear and boots, never skimp on price! You get what you pay for! Rain gear, Grungeons pants and jacket. As for boots xtratuf plenty of support easy on easy off.
As for the fishing, only been twice. Once opening day and got what I expected, a skunk! However, last weekend I had a friend up from the Keys that I grew up with in town and wanted to go fishing. Although he cringed as soon as he saw the beautiful waters of the Chesapeake Bay it turned out to be the best day of trophy season I can remember in a long long time. Found a nice pod of bait on the edge of brickhouse bar with fish under them and we spent the entire day with them. Long story short finished the day with two overs, one kept, one released still had roe and six unders between 28-32. My friend was quite impressed to say the least that we can still catch fish in these waters. On the plus side maybe some of the monster blues they have been catching ocean side will turn into the bay and provide us with some action.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1601.jpg (87.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-03-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako mike View Post
As for the weather great it's gonna blow! Makes working on roofs doing commercial HVAC more enjoyable because I don't feel like I'm missing anything when the winds howling or pour down rain.
As for rain gear and boots, never skimp on price! You get what you pay for! Rain gear, Grungeons pants and jacket. As for boots xtratuf plenty of support easy on easy off.
As for the fishing, only been twice. Once opening day and got what I expected, a skunk! However, last weekend I had a friend up from the Keys that I grew up with in town and wanted to go fishing. Although he cringed as soon as he saw the beautiful waters of the Chesapeake Bay it turned out to be the best day of trophy season I can remember in a long long time. Found a nice pod of bait on the edge of brickhouse bar with fish under them and we spent the entire day with them. Long story short finished the day with two overs, one kept, one released still had roe and six unders between 28-32. My friend was quite impressed to say the least that we can still catch fish in these waters. On the plus side maybe some of the monster blues they have been catching ocean side will turn into the bay and provide us with some action.
HAS THE WHOLE WORLD GONE MAD??? Mako Mike smoking a limit of fish?? JUSTIFIED rarely leaving the slip? Parker owners buying a Judge?? No fish in the Bay (Lou saw this coming BTW). Have I FINALLY had 1 too many drinks and lost my mind?? WTH is the world coming to???

Old 05-03-2017, 09:18 PM

Love seeing that great big Mako Mike smile

Seriously; good job showing a Florida friend how to catch fish in the Chesapeake.
5th
Old 05-04-2017, 06:23 AM

I know unbelievable, right! You'll get em' with them rock hall reds soon enough. Only 16 more days!