Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-07-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakesdad View Post
How can you possibly believe that ?
The science supports that conclusion, and My trips do also. If just one school of those breeding stock stripers has a good reproduction year and the enviromental factors support it, there will be a high juvenile index count. Most below average juvenile index's are a result of enviromental factors not the lack of a reproduction stock.

The Maryland DNR are constantly documenting striper data. Call the biologist's and ask them if what I'm saying is accurate.

If we go through several more years with below average juvenile index data you can expect there will be creel limit changes.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleBiology View Post
The science supports that conclusion, and My trips do also. If just one school of those breeding stock stripers has a good reproduction year and the enviromental factors support it, there will be a high juvenile index count. Most below average juvenile index's are a result of enviromental factors not the lack of a reproduction stock.

The Maryland DNR are constantly documenting striper data. Call the biologist's and ask them if what I'm saying is accurate.

If we go through several more years with below average juvenile index data you can expect there will be creel limit changes.
Let me try another avenue with you.

Can you and I agree that the Bay is a Cesspool ???
Old 01-07-2011, 03:39 PM

Jigstix - Never heard of a fisherman lying about his fish being smaller then it was. I think you give me far too much credit as far as TF.

Seen many " 40 inchers " that look more like 36 inchers - then the other way around in posted photos.

The 40 and over idea came from DNR - they issue an award ( citation ) for that size and over. The fish can be released - angler still gets credit. Just a good all around size.

My favorite spring fish are 30 to 33 inchers - as far as eating.

In years past - it was no big deal to get folks to release an over 40 , safe bet there would be more fish. In 2010 - most fish landed went into the box - no one gambled on getting another hit.

The real key would be to get charterboats in on the idea. Perhaps a one fish per two angler limit. This way - customer gets a nice fillet to take home. Everyone gets to reel in a fish but three are released - three are killed.

Worth trying but my gut says the big Rock will be overfished until few are left.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakesdad View Post
Let me try another avenue with you.

Can you and I agree that the Bay is a Cesspool ???
Yes, We can agree on that. The water quality is horrible. Tell all your freinds and neighbors to reduce thier use of all chemicals especially lawn fertilizers.