Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2010, 01:08 PM

Let me start by saying that I never catch any fish, therefore, I have no spots. If I did catch a fish somewhere I would gladly post and help some one else. Do you men really think your "secret spots" afford excellent fishing far beyond any other spots in the bay? If they were that great they would be marked (as Dollys' Lump is) and everyone would know their locations. Other than that, I have no opinion.

As for what everyone here is debating I say "who cares ?". This board is just like the "other board" where there is a bunch of guys that jump on a person when he makes a statement they don't aggree with. What happened to the theory that this board is to help other anglers and get away from all the discourse the "other board" has. Look at what you men are posting...! Far from any fishing discussion I have ever read.

Please don't forget your past, that, you once started out and admit it or not, some one helped you along the way.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Baldzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie View Post
Let me start by saying that I never catch any fish, therefore, I have no spots. If I did catch a fish somewhere I would gladly post and help some one else. Do you men really think your "secret spots" afford excellent fishing far beyond any other spots in the bay? If they were that great they would be marked (as Dollys' Lump is) and everyone would know their locations. Other than that, I have no opinion.

As for what everyone here is debating I say "who cares ?". This board is just like the "other board" where there is a bunch of guys that jump on a person when he makes a statement they don't aggree with. What happened to the theory that this board is to help other anglers and get away from all the discourse the "other board" has. Look at what you men are posting...! Far from any fishing discussion I have ever read.

Please don't forget your past, that, you once started out and admit it or not, some one helped you along the way.
I don't think anyone jumped on anyone on this board on anything...this was a question, instead of browsing one or two responses, read them all...there are some well thought out reasonings here. If you had spots, and someone burned them, I'm sure you would care. If you also read this entire thread you would read where 90% of us said "you ain't the first to be anywhere, someone's always been there before you and will be after you." Spot burning is nice for the lazy asses who don't want to or know how to look for fish not to be given a free pass. All we are doing here is voicing opinions on spot burning because it happened and became a huge thread on the other board. Read the whole thread.

Me personally, I spent 7 hours on the bay this morning, looking over spots, seeing if there were fish around, seeing where I could find bait, etc in preparation for fish coming in. I'll share that information with many. Again, READ before you post. I started this post, many others responded. NOT A DAMN ONE OF THEM BASHED JP FOR WHAT HE DID! For Gradybaby, noone whined or cried either, just asked questions and said why we no longer share exact locations on board. But I look forward to all your GPS coordinates this year of where you catch all your fish. All anyone did on this thread was voice our opinions on how we share information. But thanks for the clearing up the question I asked in the last line of my thread starting post!
Old 02-27-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldzilla View Post
I don't think anyone jumped on anyone on this board on anything...this was a question, instead of browsing one or two responses, read them all...there are some well thought out reasonings here. If you had spots, and someone burned them, I'm sure you would care. If you also read this entire thread you would read where 90% of us said "you ain't the first to be anywhere, someone's always been there before you and will be after you." Spot burning is nice for the lazy asses who don't want to or know how to look for fish not to be given a free pass. All we are doing here is voicing opinions on spot burning because it happened and became a huge thread on the other board. Read the whole thread.

Me personally, I spent 7 hours on the bay this morning, looking over spots, seeing if there were fish around, seeing where I could find bait, etc in preparation for fish coming in. I'll share that information with many. Again, READ before you post. I started this post, many others responded. NOT A DAMN ONE OF THEM BASHED JP FOR WHAT HE DID! For Gradybaby, noone whined or cried either, just asked questions and said why we no longer share exact locations on board. But I look forward to all your GPS coordinates this year of where you catch all your fish. All anyone did on this thread was voice our opinions on how we share information. But thanks for the clearing up the question I asked in the last line of my thread starting post!
Nicely stated. If you have nothing to offer, you have nothing to be cautious about. Newbie’s and guys who fish little want everything spelled out. Those who have paid their dues are a little more careful with who and what they share. There are a number on here I would tell everything, because I know they can handle it. It is everyone's individual choice how much to share and with whom. I do not post much anymore. A new wave of guys has filled in with reports and that is how it should be. Still get lots of emails with questions about a multitude of fishing stuff. I answer every reasonable request.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:52 PM

Baldzilla, I have read your starting post numerous times and can't find where you ask a question in the last line. But, do not explain because that could be viewed as helping someone understand what you are asking.

Now that I see this board has gone the route of the "other board" and that no one desires to help anyone else, well fine. I will just be a lurker and post nothing of any real value. No problem, no hostilities toward anyone.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:31 PM

Hippie; That might be a little extream to quit on the new board already. When you compare the two boards, at least noone has gotten suspended from this one, even though it's the same topic. For the most part, this board has been much better than the "other" board. Lurk if you must, but looking forward to more posts from you in a few weeks when the weather breaks.
5th (Marty)
Old 02-27-2010, 08:34 PM

Agreed with Marty...Don't take offense...Most of us share decent information with all....exact GPS coordinates might not even help since somehow the fish I look for keep moving...

Haven't met ya yet but it seems we have a good thing going here...Would be a shame too lose someone so quick...Looking forward to hearing from you and even more so...Getting out myself and letting folks know how I am doing....
Old 02-27-2010, 09:10 PM

Default One Poor Dumb Bastard's View

Fishing Reports should be all about helping the Poor Dumb Bastard (PDB). This is the individual that is trying to figure out how to catch some fish. At some point, everyone has been that PDB.
In order to really help someone, reports should contain at least a few of the following:
A picture of the fish, this motivates and identifies the target.
He now knows what to fish for.
Some general information on the location, but no pictures that shows the exact spot. Otherwise, the PDB doesn't have to figure out on his own how to find fish. This is key.
Provide what depth, temperature, or other pertinent information (e.g. bird, action, tide, time of day, etc.), this assists the PDB to locate his own fish.
He nows knows where to find fish.
Give the PDB some guidance on type of tackle use, techniques, lure type, weight and colors that worked, be generous here. This results in helping local tackle shops and makes the guy invest enough to ensure he's going to stick it out until he achieves success.
He now knows how to catch fish.
Armed with this basic information, the PDB must now go out on his own.
Eventually, the PDB will catch some nice fish and realize that he did it on his own.
He becomes self actualized.
The former PDB now posts and brags in his own fishing reports.
He becomes yet another know-it-all annoyance on several fishing forums.
But keep in mind, if someone had given the exact location to catch fish in the very beginning, he would have never become the "Rock Star" of today, he'd still be that Poor Dumb Bastard.
Mark

Last edited by der Fischadler; 02-27-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:23 PM

About time to let this one go!..........Gary
Old 02-27-2010, 10:19 PM

Default Fish talk yoyeurs

This has been a controversial topic since the very early days of WWA and it will remain one as long as there are fishing forums. It will never be resolved completely, but it does not hurt to have guys express their views about it. My experience has been the ones who want everyone to tell all have nothing to tell themselves. It was that way 12 years ago when I first entered a fishing message boards and it is that way today.

In the early years there were threats of violence, law suit threats, name calling, bannings and much, much more. It made reading interesting for the fish talk voyeurs. I think being able to discuss the subject without anyone getting overly emotional is a huge step forward.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:57 PM

Everyone (Hippie included) just hang in there a little while longer. After April, Baldzilla will become just a lurker.

p.s. Come on Mark, how did you do today? Post a report.
5th (Marty)