Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 12-20-2015, 07:53 PM

Default Last day 12/20/15

Wanted to run some Stabil and Startron through the motor before she gets put away indoors for a winter nap

It was going to be too nice of a day NOT to fish. Rounded up an experienced crew of Alan (Just Chillin) and Bruce (Hook 'Em). Decided on a late start of 10:00 so the frost would be off the windows and the hatches would be thawed We planed to stay out until 4pm so we would get back to SP before the cars headed in to see the park Christmas Lights.

I threw the whole spread at them today. I know it's not on fire like PLO; so the fish got to see all 20 rods today (14 board; 6 boat). We dropped lines just north of red 86 because I was seeing plenty of bait in deep water. Alan and I put out the spread while Bruce soaked up the last remaining "pity" points for his hip replacement. I put Bruce at the wheel while the spread was deployed.

We hit the deeper water for a while without success. The bay was pretty calm, and we could use the binoculars to keep tabs on other boats. Nobody was doing anything.

Saw Mike (garlein) in his boat, and we tried to cover the same waters looking for fish. I got a call from Greg (Bfaithful) saying he had a buddy out doing ok in 55-75 ft. We swung south and angled toward shallower water. We saw a group of birds high in the sky, but congregated. I headed for the general direction. Rod Down; one of our deeper umbrellas was bent nicely. A 31 was netted and dropped in the box Skunk was off I circled around and another fish jumped on one of our lures. Now this was more like it!! We kept working this same pod of fish until we had 5 in the box and one fish missed off a deep umbrella

The bite died (took two more passes through without another hookup) and we racked rods for the trip back to Sandy point. We had three fish off the boards, and three fish hit our boat rods. It was a good thing we had 20 rods out

Had someone told me we would have picked up 5 quality fish today, I would have been happy with that for a last day trip. Alan and Bruce are not only good company, but great fishermen as well (we didn't miss any fish netting).

So tomorrow is dedicated to cleaning the boat, getting some tackle off, and prepping for a long winter. I hope El Nino keeps things warm so we can get in a few trips with Greg out of Ocean City

This might be the last report for me in 2015; but I'm already looking forward to 2016.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to all my fishing buddies.
5th
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1972.jpg (91.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 12-20-2015, 09:43 PM

Great job, Marty! Glad you found them.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:36 AM

Marty,
Great day out with you and Alan. I love being able to go fishing and let everyone else do all of the work. I guess my leisure days are numbered because you seemed to have caught on to my plan.
Catching 5 fish and no wind on the last day of the season was an early Christmas present.
Thanks again and I wish everyone a safe holiday season.

27 Judge "HOOK 'EM"
bhl (Bruce)
Old 12-21-2015, 11:08 AM

Sounds like it was another great day for Marty the striper slayer! Funny thing though, my phone never rang, must be broke!
Old 12-21-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako mike View Post
Sounds like it was another great day for Marty the striper slayer! Funny thing though, my phone never rang, must be broke!
Hey Mike, I had a full boat (4) until around 9:30pm the night before. I was at a Christmas party when he canceled and figured the wife would frown upon me filling that spot while I was supposed to be socializing with non-fishing friends

Besides, you want to go to OC for the big girls (and fish too)
5th
Old 12-21-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Hey Mike, I had a full boat (4) until around 9:30pm the night before. I was at a Christmas party when he canceled and figured the wife would frown upon me filling that spot while I was supposed to be socializing with non-fishing friends

Besides, you want to go to OC for the big girls (and fish too)
5th
You are correct on both counts. Better that you socialized because I'm sure she was already upset having to sit in the pew alone on Sunday and have to take money out of her shopping fund rather than your fishing fund for the collection!
Old 12-21-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako mike View Post
my phone never rang, must be broke!
Apparently, I have the same bad phone as mine didn't ring either.

I had to bundle up and fish solo in an open boat. I stayed on the deep side of Bloody Point looking for a home run, but only managed 3, 24" fish.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:09 PM

My phone works fine so I guess Marty just didn't want to take me??? That's ok, I went to The Point and had a lovely lunch with friends. No pressure, no questioning "do I turn left or right", no blood or stink to wash off the boat; it was a lovely last day. Got winterized this afternoon so 72* Christmas Eve will be used to get all the crap that has collected onboard all season long. Might even give her a coat of wax for the winter

Old 12-21-2015, 06:56 PM

Jeff, I spent the day getting some things off the boat and giving her a good wash down. I was due in the "shed" tomorrow, but put her indoors today because of the impending rain.
I told the guy at indoor storage that she was going to be colder inside than outside (50* maintained indoors, 60* outside).

I have to coordinate to take her for power washing and bottom painting, and I have to contact the mechanic (Ed Miller) for servicing; at least he does this indoors.

Then, it's off to the flea markets to buy crap for next year
5th

p.s. No photo of her inside, it was difficult to take a pic through the tears
Old 12-22-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Jeff, I spent the day getting some things off the boat and giving her a good wash down. I was due in the "shed" tomorrow, but put her indoors today because of the impending rain.
I told the guy at indoor storage that she was going to be colder inside than outside (50* maintained indoors, 60* outside).

I have to coordinate to take her for power washing and bottom painting, and I have to contact the mechanic (Ed Miller) for servicing; at least he does this indoors.

Then, it's off to the flea markets to buy crap for next year
5th

p.s. No photo of her inside, it was difficult to take a pic through the tears
It will be Alright Marty, it's only like 90 days.