Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 06-06-2012, 03:29 PM

Default Wet feet 6/6/12 5th Tuition

Yep, that's right, 5th Tuition, not Patent Pending.

With the calm winds predicted for today, I just had to get my boat out and try my hand at those fish off CB. I saw the weather report and knew they were calling for extra high tides today. I checked the tide chart and found high tide at CB at 6 am. Well, if I can't get under the bridge with my hardtop and anchor light (it doesn't swivel down); we can go to Breezy.

So my first stop was CB ramps. Water was into the parking lot. So off to Breezy we go. Now I realize it's going to be flooded too, but at least I don't have a bridge to contend with. As we approached the bottom of the hill, water was all over the road and the entrance was flooded. Water as far as you could see. So I turned around, and the guys with me said, "I guess that was plan B, do you have a plan C?" Well as a matter of fact, I did.

I didn't want to get too far away from CB and the fish, so off to TriState in Deale to use their ramp. My 22 ft walkaround was fine, but I wouldn't want to go much bigger. Their ramp is pretty steep, but with the high tide, I knew I didn't have to back the trailer down very far to float the boat. However, the piers were under water about 3 inches (not bad at all).

The truck tires didn't even get wet and we finally launched and ran toward CB. We marked some bait in 35 ft and I put out a 7 rod spread of 5 spreader bars and two small umbrellas.

It wasn't long before the first fish hit a deep rod (20 oz back 7 bars) and the skunk was off the boat. We circled back around and within 200 ft of my waypoint, a rod with 10 oz and 10 bars back went off.

We lost our bait and I tried a little deeper toward the channel. Another rod gets hit. Three in the box and only on the water for a few minutes. I called Capt. John and he had a late start today (7:30 am) and I told him where I was (not that it was a secrete, there must have been 5 other charters in there with me. My bite slowed, and John tried further east of us. The radio crackeled, and John invited us out for a nice bite in deeper water. We picked up our last three fish in quick order (thanks Capt).

We also had three hard knockdowns. Two were enough to pull drag. I checked the rigs and all looked fine. We reset our 7 rods and BAM, I fish hit so hard, that the portable rod holder was jerked down. Almost as fast as it hit, it was off. Now this rod was a roof rod with less weight and I know it wasn't bottom or a crab trap. When I pulled in the rig (small umbrella) one off the teasers was missing. Not only was the teaser missing, but so was the snap swivel you attach it too.

We did see some rays (didn't hook any) But with a full cooler and plenty of time left for the tide, we ran off to try some jigging. I swear, when you don't know what you are doing, that is some tough fishing. With only one jigger onboard, Lou and I decided to call it a day early and go to Lou's house, clean fish, and drink beer. Nice way to end the day.

5th (Marty)
Old 06-06-2012, 06:05 PM

The smart guys launched about 9:00

Still had to wear boots at Breezy - got to love minnows around ankles when launching.

Love those goofy but awesome spoon spreader bars - thanks for tip about them.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:23 PM

I'm glad you like them. When the blues arrive, they are fantastic.

Have you caught a "double" on the spreader yet? Lots of fun

5th (Marty)
Old 06-06-2012, 10:57 PM

Default Where...

Hey Marty... where do you get the spreaders for Capt. John's spoons?
Old 06-07-2012, 07:34 AM

Ed; you can buy the spreaders lots of places. He sells the riged spreaders out of his South County Cafe in Deale. However, I know Jin at Marty's Bait and tackle sells all of the pieces (spreader and John's spoons), so does George at Tylers Tackle in CB.

There may be other places as well.

I just spoke to Capt John and here is the information for prices.

Selling out of his store in Deale (you can google search the location). The store phone # is 410- 867- 1992.

Spreader Bar (already riged with metal teasers) $15.95
Spoons $6.95
Umbrellas (complete with a single lure) $15.95

If you catch him at a show or if you buy lures by the dozen, there is a small price break.

5th (Marty)
Old 06-07-2012, 09:43 AM

Thanks Marty...I guess Phil and I will hit Marty's again soon.

BTW...send me your snail mail address at my whiskey99@verizon.net e-mail address, so I can send you the money I owe for the lures.

I hate owing people money even though I owe everyone...I still hate it.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:53 AM

No way am I sending you my address. I want to get back on the boat fishing with you guys. I'll bring your lures, and you can pay me.

Lets get together soon. Maybe we can talk Phil into an early evening trip to hit some areas I know. My boat will be in the water this weekend. We can take mine if you want.

5th (Marty)
Old 06-07-2012, 10:05 AM

I think we're going to try some deeper water tomorrow afternoon if all goes well. We'll probably run the spoonbrella until we catch a Blue this year.

Hope the beer went down as good as the fishing was.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
No way am I sending you my address. I want to get back on the boat fishing with you guys. I'll bring your lures, and you can pay me.

Lets get together soon. Maybe we can talk Phil into an early evening trip to hit some areas I know. My boat will be in the water this weekend. We can take mine if you want.

5th (Marty)
He told me he asked you along for Saturday...I know we are planning a down & back to OC next Saturday to check out my boat and see what we can do with some flounder...you are certainly welcome on that trip.