Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 01-11-2016, 03:05 PM

Default PLO epic winter!

I don't know if I can put in words how epic the extended (great weather) catch and release season at point lookout has been. I was able to share world class fishing with great friends. Being out on the bay on January 1st and not seeing a single boat (besides a tanker)and having a school of rockfish 70ft deep under the boat is something I will never forget. We would drift on a school for 45 minutes to a hour with so many triple hookups I couldn't begin to count them. I'm not writing this to make anyone feel bad if you missed the bite! It was just such a wonderful experience to share with great friends.! Tight Lines.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (98.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1438.jpg (96.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1439.jpg (89.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1440.JPG (74.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1441.JPG (80.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1442.JPG (91.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1443.JPG (24.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-11-2016, 06:54 PM

Nice looking fish, but I would be careful posting pictures with fish at home. I believe it's only catch and release now! Thanks for the report if my deck wasn't tore apart I would have to make the trip myself. What general area were you?
Old 01-11-2016, 07:04 PM

Come on Mike, he said "epic winter" not "just 1 day in the winter during C&R only season". He's giving a quick recap of a successful fall season that he has extended into C&R season because the weather and bite has been so good.

I am VERY jealous!!! I wish I was still overboard to enjoy some of these 50*+ days but oh well.... Spring is only a few weeks away (like 10!)

Welcome to CBA!!!!

Old 01-11-2016, 09:07 PM

Welcome to the site Travis. Contrats on some nice trips. It has been that way down there since before Thanksgiving. We fished the MSSA tournament down there and had 70 fish or so on the troll (could have had many many more jigging if we werent looking for bubba). I dont think I have been to the CBBT in over 6 years now. Whether it is just a great resident bite or a bite on the big migrants, the mouth of the Potomac is a fantastic fishery the late fall/early winter.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:47 PM

Yeah the post was a recap of the plo experience for me. Interestingly enough the best days were cnr! Luckily, that pic is on my Facebook page way before the end of the season. I took about 10 trips to plo. The first two I just tried to learn the game and the geography of the area. After that I pretty much caught fish in the channel from 72-63 and in the Potomac from bouy 3 to Saint Clements. I averaged out 60 miles a trip. We had lots of fun. I found fish with birds but often my best fish came with no birds or boats around!

Last edited by longtrav; 01-11-2016 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
Welcome to the site Travis. Contrats on some nice trips. It has been that way down there since before Thanksgiving. We fished the MSSA tournament down there and had 70 fish or so on the troll (could have had many many more jigging if we werent looking for bubba). I dont think I have been to the CBBT in over 6 years now. Whether it is just a great resident bite or a bite on the big migrants, the mouth of the Potomac is a fantastic fishery the late fall/early winter.
Yeah,I may need to find someone with space local. Or ask mike At buzzes if I can leave my boat down there for Winter bite.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessie27 View Post
Come on Mike, he said "epic winter" not "just 1 day in the winter during C&R only season". He's giving a quick recap of a successful fall season that he has extended into C&R season because the weather and bite has been so good.

I am VERY jealous!!! I wish I was still overboard to enjoy some of these 50*+ days but oh well.... Spring is only a few weeks away (like 10!)

Welcome to CBA!!!!
My fault Jeff. I saw the date on the picture and took it for the day it was taken rather than posted. As for spring being 10 days away....... Only with a southwest ticket heading 1200 miles south. Hope everyone doing good so far this winter. It's about time for another get together!