Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2019, 11:10 AM

Default Paxatawney Phil's last chuckle

I believe this is Phil's last reminder of winter. Looks like we hit 60* later next week, with average temps in the high 40's.
Most of the "shows" are over, and I bought the few items I needed to start making up my tandem rigs/umbrella's/and such.
I always pull off the first 10ft of old line to start fresh. The mono on my "board lines" only sees the light of day for about a month and a half. Even then, with wind/weather I only get about 10-12 trips in for Trophy season. So my mono doesn't "degrade" from sunlight much at all
I replace my terminal snap swivel with a new one (if I have any doubt about it's effectiveness). I replace the "red bead" before the swivel, and tie a new polomar knot for confidence.
With our opportunities becoming more scarce, we need to do everything we can to land that rare trophy.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: If you have any canvas/isinglass work that you left for too long to get done (many shops are very busy now getting customer stuff done before spring); I have a friend, Bill Jones, who bought a commercial sewing machine and is getting started in the business. I have some small stuff that needs to be addressed, and he can do it quickly. Let me know if you need his number

By the end of February, I'll be finished working in the basement on tackle. March brings a few boats being splashed in Deale. Shakedown cruises with 6 lines out starts on pretty days. Just the opportunity to see the first Osprey's return is enough anticipation to get back on the water. I suspect we will be writing about the lack of bait seen on the meter (like always). Then about three days before Opening Day, we will be excited to see bait balls reappear.
Mid March will see my boat unwrapped Mlag has agreed to help me change all my fluids and filters this spring. I usually take it to my mechanic for additional work, but I didn't put many hours on her last year (wife's heart attack kept me home).

I checked the batteries the last 50* day we had, and they are still in great shape. All the "crap" needs to go back on the boat (that's a two day event). Then a good cleaning so the birds from the wife's feeder have a freshly cleaned "target"

Then it's a race to get in the water (April) before the little red blossoms from the maple trees start dropping (I hate the stains they make) Then the "helicopters" start dropping. Getting "in slip" before that mess is a priority

Then I have an "excuse" for running and looking for fish. I tell the wife, it's good to run all that "old gas" out of the tank before the season (I store it full). As I motor in and out of Rockhold creek, I keep a close eye on how many boats are getting fuel from the marina. I don't like using their old fuel that sat all winter absorbing water

Eventually, Opening day will be here. If the weather is GREAT, I'll go. If it's suspect, let the crazy Grady's have the weekend. Let's hope the fish cooperate and we catch a few nice one's each trip. The glory days of yesteryear with 13-20 hookups is long gone. If I can put three in the boat each trip; that's a good day.

It's 11am now, the snow is still falling, and the wife's home (schools closed). I'm writing this post, she's reading a good book, Bose speaker is playing soft music, cat's are curled up and sleeping; it doesn't get much better. I almost lost all this last June, thankful for what I have.

Hope you are too

Go watch the grandkids sledding down the slopes tonight, or put a fire in the fireplace to celebrate the end of winter. Stay safe; see you on the water soon.
5th
Old 02-20-2019, 12:02 PM

Remember March 20, 2018, 8" of snow!!!

27 Judge "HOOK 'EM"
bhl (Bruce)
Old 02-20-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl View Post
Remember March 20, 2018, 8" of snow!!!
Phil must have seen his shadow that year
5th
Old 02-21-2019, 07:16 AM

Wow that read like a Hemingway novel! Heading to my beloved Florida Keys next week and again in May. After the past couple of dismal spring seasons I知 going to catch fish I知 not going to try to. The money I save not running the boat all over the bay will more then pay for my transportation costs. Hopefully I値l be invited on a few spring trips but I知 in no rush to get the boat in the water for the opener. I wish everyone luck chasing the trophy stripers but I値l be down south chasing my all time favorite sportfish, the silver king, the tarpon!
Old 02-21-2019, 06:02 PM

Let me know how it goes down south.

I will be there the week of 3/4.