Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 11-20-2011, 08:04 PM

Default fun trip

went out with an old WS buddy. stopped on some birds (90% terns) on the bay and caught a few 1'rs and perch. packed it in and flew,... ,more important things to do. went to what i consider a lot of effort to locate some big ones. but didn't. spent a couple hours until dark and then a long ride home.

closer to dock, stopped near some lights and threw a 4 3/8 yozuri crystal minnow with orange back. missed a couple hits but caught a nice fat 22 football. something about all the running around just to find them back at the barn was hilarious - great day/night to be out.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerly View Post
went out with an old WS buddy. stopped on some birds (90% terns) on the bay and caught a few 1'rs and perch. packed it in and flew,... ,more important things to do. went to what i consider a lot of effort to locate some big ones. but didn't. spent a couple hours until dark and then a long ride home.

closer to dock, stopped near some lights and threw a 4 3/8 yozuri crystal minnow with orange back. missed a couple hits but caught a nice fat 22 football. something about all the running around just to find them back at the barn was hilarious - great day/night to be out.
That's been the story of our summer this year. We've been going out, loaded up for 10 hours of running up and down the bay looking for fish only to come back to the same spot 2000 yards from the marina everytime and catch fish.

How deep were the Perch?
Old 11-21-2011, 11:11 AM

all that early action was in probably less than 20' water at the edge of open chesapeake. clumps of fish on the bottom were hard to distingusih between bait, micro-rock perch etc. seemed to be some catchable size fish here and there but it looked like the odds were against us at best.

there appeared to be some surface feeding dink rock there also, but we fished 100% bottom with metal (stingsilver, dudley dick). we started w/plastic but switched over due to no success and fast drift. the perch were not large but i've seen people with buckets full of smaller.

the majority of the nighttime FF fish were at least 8-10' down. we tried jigging with metal, plastic, and even a gotcha to get them. but maybe they couldn't see to target/catch the bait. my yozuri was 12-18" deep model. nice action at slow - almost like walk the dog. i think it caught an oddball fish that wasn't as deep. my feeling is that my deep-running glass shad rap GSR-7 would have been deadly fun. but it was at home tied to a rod.

too bad i didn't take snapshots of FF fish at that time. on structure scan, the bait look like Christmas trees and the fish at the edges looked like snakes. some classic views i would kill for in typical summertime day trip. all of this in less than 20' water. no sign of action on top - glassy smooth, slightly murky. i think temp was about 52, which seems high,...