Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2010, 10:49 AM

Default HDS 7 Question

My HDS 7 works well at slow speeds (1-12 mph). It shows both bait/fish and bottom depth. However, when on plane, the depth still shows on the screen but the bait/fish fade away.
The transducer is mounted on the transom and it is flush with the hull. I was told to lower the transom just a hair and see what happens. Any suggestions?
5th (Marty)
Old 06-10-2010, 12:01 PM

Marty;

My trasnducer is just a little lower the the bottom of the boat. Have not seen any problems yet.

Vince
Old 06-10-2010, 12:41 PM

Not to sound snide, but you will not get the same readings at high speed as you do at slower speeds for many reasons. You may know this, and forgive me if you do, but what would be a 1 inch long mark on your screen while drifting, would be much smaller at 5 knots due to the transducer passing over the "mark" quicker, and then again at say 20 knots that may be no more than a vertical line. Unless you are seeing a huge balls of bait, without adjusting your settings, you'll be hard pressed to see any real marks, let alone individual fish while on plane. Maybe I'm way off, but this is the way it was explained to me.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:35 PM

Trapshoot; thanks, I may drop it just a tad.
Jig; information is always welcome. I do realize what you are saying, but my old unit (and units of my friends) would show bait balls and at least some marks when on plane (17-25 mph).
5th (Marty)
Old 06-10-2010, 04:44 PM

I fished with a guide on Smith Mountain Lake who had a thru hull transducer (Marty, this guide knew what he was doing unlike our...ahem...guide up north). That thing was amazing. You max out the ping speed and can pick up marks at near WOT. Granted we were seeing schools of freshwater stripers but I was still amazed at how much detail it picked up. Can't remember the brand to save the life of me. Might have to drop him a line.

Last edited by Slayer; 06-10-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:23 PM

Keith; I've seen real nice resolution with thru hull transducers. Mine is transom mounted and I know I will lose a little because of this, but I've seen other transom mounted units work better than mine. Next time I'm at SP I will look at some of the boats before they splash them to see how their transducer is mounted relative to the hull.
5th (Marty)
Old 06-10-2010, 07:11 PM

Might be the angle of the boat when running.
If the bow is lifted when on plane - the transducer will be aimed wrong.

Just for sh*t / giggles - next time out - try trimming the tabs and / or motor to get the bow way down. See if the meter reads better then.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
My HDS 7 works well at slow speeds (1-12 mph). It shows both bait/fish and bottom depth. However, when on plane, the depth still shows on the screen but the bait/fish fade away.
The transducer is mounted on the transom and it is flush with the hull. I was told to lower the transom just a hair and see what happens. Any suggestions?
5th (Marty)
I want to see you lower the transom..............Gary
Old 06-10-2010, 09:36 PM

I agree with JigStix that you aren't going to see near the detail running at faster speeds, no matter where your xducer is mounted. If you're holding the bottom at high speeds, it's mounted correctly. Increase your ping speed to get more detail then read the marks just like you would have back in the days of the old flasher units. A guick flash on the screen at 20 knots could be enough rockfish to blank out the bottom at idle.

"Catch & Release - A picture is worth a thousand fish"
Old 06-10-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
I want to see you lower the transom..............Gary
OOPS

Thanks Shawn.

5th (Marty)