Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2016, 02:11 PM

Default Christmas Tackle

Does your family always ask what you want for Christmas; and then buys you socks (or a tie)

Well here are a few items that are not cheap, but could go a long way in helping you catch fish next year

Looks like my flash didn't work on the photo's, but they are good enough to figure out what I mean.

I have been having great success pulling "eel tails" instead of 6 inch shads on my umbrella's. Charlie Schneider (Big Will II) was the first to turn me on to them a couple of years ago. I still pull 6 inch shads on umbrella's during the Spring Trophy Season, but after that, it's always eel tails. They reduce the drag of the umbrella, allowing them to get deeper, and they are easier to pull in with a fish attached. I like the white. The green loses color and gets real "washed out" in the sun. I have been steady replacing the green with white.
They are not cheap. I think they are 50 cents a piece. I used to use 6 inch twister tails on my summer and fall umbrella's, and they were very cheap. The eel tails give a larger profile, so I prefer them to twister tails.

The second piece of tackle that has been very good to me this summer and fall season is the 6 inch green clear shad with mylar imbedded. They also come in 9 inch as well, but the 6's have been "money" for me this season. I have also run two 6's as a tandem on my WWB line How do I keep them from getting tangled up (because the are both 6's and weigh the same)? I run one off a 12 ft leader, as my top bait. The second one goes off a 6 ft leader, but I "splice" a 2 oz. weight in the middle (3 ft down the leader).
These green mylar shads ($2 each, ouch) are threaded onto a long shank ounce (or ounce and a half) jig head of any color. Not only do the fish seem to gobble them up, but because they don't have any hair (buck tail/parachute), they can withstand being dropped in the muddy bottom and are self cleaning.
If they do hit bottom, check for "sea squirts"; I picked up a fair number this year running my crap as deep as I could (that's where many of the fish were late fall).
These can be run as a single lure off small (9" or 12 " umbrella's) or as tandems off opposing arms on big umbrella's.

I have no idea how the 9 inch shads work in the spring, but I may have a few out there to try next year.

Every year, something gets "hot". A couple of years ago, the summer bait was Rock Hall red hoses. These were "killer" lures for two years; this year, not so much. Of course, I jigged more this summer/fall than in previous years

So take a look a my "dark" photo's and see if you want to pick up a few for Christmas. The eel tails were mostly bought from Tyler's Tackle in Chesapeake Beach during the winter shows (Marty's in Edgewater has them too).
The green mylar shads can be had at Marty's, AllTackle, and Angler's. I'm sure others have them too, but these are known places.

I started out getting a tip two years ago from Greg (Bfaithful) and didn't try them out. This year, Doug (mates on Backdraft) told me about them as well. Figured it was time I put some in my spread At the end of the year, about half my lures were these. The other half were buck tails of various weights. My only concern, is putting them on jigheads like BKD's. Their hooks are strong, but rather thin. I have been finding jig heads with substantial hooks on them for these trolling baits.

Hope this helps someone. My boat is "naked" and ready to be shrink wrapped for the season

I hope everyone has a great Christmas and Happy New Year.
5th (Marty)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2230.jpg (101.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2235.jpg (101.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2237.jpg (96.1 KB, 34 views)
Old 12-11-2016, 06:54 PM

Thanks for the tips, I'm always looking for new reasons to buy more tackle. I'll just tell Margaret, "But honey, Marty made me do it!"

Old 12-12-2016, 07:33 AM

Marty, you need to get out fishing! Or a job this winter, I'm looking for a helper?

Last edited by Mako mike; 12-12-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako mike View Post
Marty, you need to get out fishing! Or a job this winter, I'm looking for a helper?
Mike;
I actually worked for an Air Condition/Heating/Sheet Metal guy one summer when I was off from college. I never felt so stupid in my life

I think it was first day, he asked me to measure and cut a piece of sheet metal for him. I laid out the large piece on the table and started marking the sheet every 12 inches apart with a slash for the proper cut. He said, "What are you doing?".
I told him I was going to use a straight edge and connect the marks to get a straight line for me to cut.
He said it would take all day to do it that way. He took a ruler, put his thumb at the mark (depth) he wanted, laid the ruler on the sheet metal, put a pencil at the end of the ruler and struck a line all the way down the sheet metal.

Wow, that looked easy enough I tried to do the same thing. My pencil kept falling off the end of the ruler and I had lines everywhere I eventually got the hang of it by the end of summer

Second thing I needed to do was "cut" with tin snips the measured piece. No problem, just like using scissors on paper; I thought I started my cut, not far into it, the tin snips were getting "bound" and it was difficult to cut. Again, he says, "What are you doing over there?". "Cutting this sheet metal", I said. My piece had little shards hanging off the ends to cut your fingers to pieces.
"Here, do it like this", he said. His cut was as smooth as a knife through butter, with a clean edge.
By the end of summer, I knew how to hold the snips and cut effortlessly too.

I still remember being up on a flat tar roof in July. It must have been 90* temperature, and 110* on the roof. Factor in, we had to "cook" tar on the roof to seal the AC units on the roof. I still remember the first time I showed up for a roof job in bermuda shorts (it was hot outside, right). It was a windy day, and the hot tar which was "ladled" out of the pot left a long string of thin tar that blew onto my legs and quickly tattooed me with hot tar. Learned to wear long pants, even on hot days.

Now this was not a terrible job. The owner of the company had a boat in a marina. Most days, we would quit around noon and head to the boat

One summer was enough for me to realize that I had better stay in school and finish my degree. I spent the next 32 years working with a deadly organism, Mycobacteria tuberculosis

Not sure I picked the right vocation

Oh hell; sure I did. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones who got to retire early and fish whenever I want. I developed a sense of respect for anyone who works in the professions like AC; plumbing, electrical, roofing, etc.

It's been 30 years since I cut a piece of tin I better stick to fishing and an occasional mate job on a charter

5th
Old 12-12-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Mike;
I actually worked for an Air Condition/Heating/Sheet Metal guy one summer when I was off from college. I never felt so stupid in my life

I think it was first day, he asked me to measure and cut a piece of sheet metal for him. I laid out the large piece on the table and started marking the sheet every 12 inches apart with a slash for the proper cut. He said, "What are you doing?".
I told him I was going to use a straight edge and connect the marks to get a straight line for me to cut.
He said it would take all day to do it that way. He took a ruler, put his thumb at the mark (depth) he wanted, laid the ruler on the sheet metal, put a pencil at the end of the ruler and struck a line all the way down the sheet metal.

Wow, that looked easy enough I tried to do the same thing. My pencil kept falling off the end of the ruler and I had lines everywhere I eventually got the hang of it by the end of summer

Second thing I needed to do was "cut" with tin snips the measured piece. No problem, just like using scissors on paper; I thought I started my cut, not far into it, the tin snips were getting "bound" and it was difficult to cut. Again, he says, "What are you doing over there?". "Cutting this sheet metal", I said. My piece had little shards hanging off the ends to cut your fingers to pieces.
"Here, do it like this", he said. His cut was as smooth as a knife through butter, with a clean edge.
By the end of summer, I knew how to hold the snips and cut effortlessly too.

I still remember being up on a flat tar roof in July. It must have been 90* temperature, and 110* on the roof. Factor in, we had to "cook" tar on the roof to seal the AC units on the roof. I still remember the first time I showed up for a roof job in bermuda shorts (it was hot outside, right). It was a windy day, and the hot tar which was "ladled" out of the pot left a long string of thin tar that blew onto my legs and quickly tattooed me with hot tar. Learned to wear long pants, even on hot days.

Now this was not a terrible job. The owner of the company had a boat in a marina. Most days, we would quit around noon and head to the boat

One summer was enough for me to realize that I had better stay in school and finish my degree. I spent the next 32 years working with a deadly organism, Mycobacteria tuberculosis

Not sure I picked the right vocation

Oh hell; sure I did. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones who got to retire early and fish whenever I want. I developed a sense of respect for anyone who works in the professions like AC; plumbing, electrical, roofing, etc.

It's been 30 years since I cut a piece of tin I better stick to fishing and an occasional mate job on a charter

5th
smart man, college did teach you something unlike a lot of kids today!
Old 12-15-2016, 02:47 PM

Have been in commercial construction for 42 years.
25 years working with my tools inside and outside an all types of weather.
Metal studs, structural and light gauge, all types of walls, etc.
All types of ceilings, grid, slat, wood, and finish products, etc.

The past 17 years have been on the construction management side as a site superintendent.
When it's too hot or too cold, I'll be in my office "Looking at drawings or doing computer/paper work", if you know what I mean.

Just turned 60 and the extreme temps don't sit well with me as they used to.

Jeff
240 LTS

Triton 240 LTS, 250 Verado
Upper, Upper Bay
Light tackle
Old 12-15-2016, 03:41 PM

Plumbing supports my fishing habit! The trades are highly underrated!