Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-02-2010, 08:15 PM
Baldzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
What for it is light tackle not TROLLING. Do you even know what a ltj rod is???? Little skip???
LMAO!!!!! Jimbo, we need to chat ASAP!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 09:07 PM

Okay, Skip. I can't let that go unchallenged. This would be more fun over a few beers, but what the hell:

You're a heck of a fisherman, I admire and respect you for that because you usually put big fish in the boat. But my philosophy is that - once you refine the process - your chances are just as good on any give day with light tackle. Some times of the year, like right now, it's better. It's cheaper, doesn't require a boat, and isn't so gawd awful boring. I know there are advantages to trolling as well. Some of my best fishing buddies are trollers, but I'm hoping they'll recover.

I personally believe that there are a few light tackle aces fishing now that have as good or better chances of breaking records with the skinny rods than anyone else. The world record striper was caught on light tackle, and the record before that was too. There's no doubt that the average fisherman has a better chance of going out and catching a spring trophy in the Bay by trolling, but there have been some 40 pounders landed already this year on light tackle. Stop by tomorrow night and I'll show you some pictures!

"Catch & Release - A picture is worth a thousand fish"
Old 02-02-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
Your a wanted man Shawn everyone wants to know about your corn colored jig heads
Wanted by a few bill collectors, maybe! But I'm thinking the fish are getting kinda used to those candy corn jigs. This pattern has been producing pretty good lately. In honor of the Sandy Point thing I call it "Purple Plunge."

"Catch & Release - A picture is worth a thousand fish"
Old 02-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Baldzilla

Wish I could make the seminar, but I'll be chasing big cats in the Missouri river tomorrow afternoon!!! (probably fruitless but who cares)

It's all a matter of opinion. I have always seen the desire to perfect a trolling spread and make it work and have learned a lot from a few guys here and there...and it's more relaxing just sitting there driving a boat waiting for a fish to bite...but I have caught way more fish LTJ since I picked it up about a year ago, and much bigger fish. I've consistently caught more fish over 30" in the summer and early fall and WAY more fish over 40" than I ever did trolling and I hold my own trolling pretty well....

something to be said about feeling that tick, tick on the BKD and having to set the hook and feel that rod bend double!!! IMHO nothing more satisfying than a big LTJ fish, and even the smaller ones caught on the broomsticks when the tony's are being trolled put up a helluva fight on light tackle, making a normally boring fish to catch WAY more fun! Even better when it's a tuna, mahi, etc on LT!!!!

Just one feller's opinion...but you'll still see me rolling out there with my 6 rod barbless spread a few times!!!

Last edited by Baldzilla; 02-02-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:58 AM

Shawn...make sure if I'm in any of your seminar pics that the pics are the same size........
Old 02-03-2010, 09:44 AM

Shawn - wish I could make your talk , you do a great job.

I hear you about the light gear - sometimes I wish I had a smaller boat that could get in some shallow/tight areas especially this time of year.

As far as the record - tough fish to land on light gear. It can be done but so much can go wrong when the fight is long.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:15 AM

I will throw some fuel on the fire... World record was caught by a surf fisherman throwing a plug around jetties in NJ with a surf rod during a nor'easter. Next world record will be caught on live bait. It almost fell about 4 times in the last year or two and all heaviest fish have come on eels, spot, or bunker.

All fishing is fun and each method poses its own challenges.

Last edited by B-Faithful; 02-03-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:35 PM

Is this the same talk you gave at this time last year about using "planer boards" at the rips?.............................Mark
Old 02-03-2010, 03:17 PM

Default Do they have Beer?

I'm not sure I can sit through a bunch of slides showing SK holding trophy Stripers and be sober at the same time.
And I may still have some funds left in my beer allowance for the week. Ok, what's today, Wednesday? If the snow holds off until Saturday, I'm probably good...
Old 02-03-2010, 03:33 PM

I actually believe you have a BETTER chance of landing record fish on light tackle and smaller boats than you do open water trolling. ESPECIALLY on the flats. When the big fish are condensed in the rivers and small areas they are much more vulnerable. I will agree with skip, that more things have to go right in order to get the fish into the boat than the big gear...I know I have busted off more big fish at the boat due to being nervous, busted split rings, straightened hooks and line break offs than I want to admit- but thats fishing and the risk you assume by using light tackle. (I wish SOMEONE would make a dang hook that is big enough for striper baits, razor sharp and strong enough not to straighten on big fish) I still believe my Dad and I caught and released the state record striped bass on light tackle almost a year ago, but im probably a bit biased

Last edited by spynet000; 02-03-2010 at 03:54 PM.