Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 11-14-2016, 04:55 PM

Default Getting educated

I had a couple from AMR where I keep the pleasure boat ask if I would take them fishing. They have acquired a small bayliner fishing boat to go along with thier go fast boat and wanted to learn a little about fishing. Deployed a 10 rod spread using the riggers just N.E. of Baltimore light and not long after explaining the reason for and how to's of outriggers, BAM, long port rigger goes off and after making sure of solid hookset passed rod off to Wendy. After explaining how to hold rod and some coaching she made short work on a fat 23" and in the box it went. Don't usually like keeping anything under 25" but wanted them to have some meat after Chris had Wendy get up on a 30 degree morning. As the day went on managed another two "sisters" of the first one. They learned a good deal and at times were getting overwhelmed with all the line length changes weight changes lure changes etc trying to entice just two more fish. Fish must have been feeding deeper as all three fish came on long port rigger and hits occurred while making turns to port. I only screwed up once during the day. While leadering and landing a fish for Wendy I had her husband Chris drive and keep boat straight. While I had my back to the helm working fish to the boat I hear those dreaded words! " hey Mike, I'm not sure what to do here. I have a boat on my starboard and a orange board with a flag on it approaching us to the port!" Yes you guessed it, I forgot to explain planer boards to them! Lucky for me since basically fishing alone I had all my baits relatively close to boat and was able to avoid a very bad situation with a hard fast turn to port. If the operator of the other vessel is on this board I again appologize as I did yesterday but after reading this story I would hope you understand! Otherwise it was a perfect day to educate someone that has never been.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:51 PM

Nice of you to take them out and put them on some fish. If he's gonna fish the Bay he better know about planers for sure! If everyone just fished outriggers it sure would make things easier. Mako, do you know where I can buy some 100' long outriggers???

Old 11-15-2016, 06:47 AM

Good job Mike

I was up in the Choptank and back home near 83 yesterday catching the same 23 inch fish. I can remember when you used to say you could catch any kind of fish except for Rockfish; now you are a threat for the CBA Tournament

It was a kind gesture to show the "newbie's" how much fun it is to get on the water to harvest a couple of fish for dinner.

I expected nothing less from the "Mayor" of Atlantic Marine Resort

5th