View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 04:00 PM

Shawn, i appreciate you chiming in. You are always a stand-up guy and I fully respect you and your opinions. While we may agree on most things, there may be times where we offer different perspectives. I hope we can always have open dialogue and a nice friendship.

A couple of your recent articles were just some of the numerous things written that has been brought to my attention regarding what is being seen by some as a rising anti-trolling setiment in the recreational fishing community. I must say that I do fear some of the language within the article does foster some of the setiment I am seeing rise. Being that you are highly respected by so many, including myself, and you work on the CCA legislative committee and closely with the CBF on some projects, your perspectives carry a lot more weight than most. Of course your articles were just one source of the many comments made regarding trolling throughout the spring and winter.

A lot of this publicly written online feedback by some combined with recently proposed and implimented greater restrictions specifically on trolling during catch and release only season, DNR focus on efficiency over the increased numbers of fish harvest last spring on the recreational side (still less than 1 fish for every 3 trips taken),and recent rod surveys taken at access points has many of us who thoroughly enjoy trolling as a method of fishing in the spring, has me concerned over further targeted restrictions. I can only speak for myself in stating that I dont think that is the best way to manage the fishery for sustainability while enhansing and enticing the citizens of the state to participate in the recreation. I also believe that attempting to reduce efficiency, while it is still relatively low, to be good precedence for future management. I fear it will have a negative impact on the still growing recreational fishing paticipation. As I stated in the other forum, we all strive to maximize our efficiency so we can best enjoy the act of fishing. It is why we spend so much money on the latest and greatest equipment like electronics, search for common areas that hold fish, and look for signs of higher concentration of fish. I personally would like to see any reductions on the harvest of fish be done through the basics in recreational fishing management: creel limits, harvest season, length, and size limits. *

The above is why I wanted to start this thread. I wanted to address this issue or even just a potential issue before there was too much seperation in the unity of the user groups. While some may disagree with when the trophy season starts and/or what the regulations are around what fish we can keep, we all have the same regulations to live by regardless of how we fish. I think we all need to keep the finger pointing down about other recreation fishermen who choose to fish differently. I believe we all need to focus on the debate over the basics of fisheries management (both on the recreational and commercial side). I dont state this a troller but as a recreational fishermen, who wants to see recreational fishing enhansed for all who desire to access our resource.

(*given the creel limits are 1 per person and the trophy season is such a draw and economic impact to our recreational fishing community, I suggest that size limits would make the best consideration -- no take slot to ensure more fish are released would be the best consideration IMHO. It would provide for the chance to keep a fish, land a fish of lifetime, retain records, and reduce the number of fish being harvested. I believe it would still retain participation levels of the trophy season as evident when we had such regulations a few years ago -- An area where we may disagree).

Last edited by B-Faithful; 04-22-2010 at 04:23 PM.