View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 04:42 PM

OK. Because todays trip was soooooo like yesterdays, I'll add this trip to yesterdays thread.

Again we left the dock at 8am and headed south to Ches. Beach where we dropped lines and trolled. I decided to try to get everything a little deeper than yesterday (except the two heaviest umb.).
We had an occassional whitecap and the bay wasn't bad at all. When we marked some nice bait and fish, Capt John dropped the boat into neutral and tried to get our lines deeper. We did this a couple of times, until I saw the deepest lines "tick" bottom.
I checked lines; and yes they were dirty. I was cleaning the baits and reseting them when a 10 oz umb 16 bars back got hit. Another 32 inch male was photographed and released.
The wind really picked up and we called it a day with only one fish. Whitecaps were on every wave and the I would guess we had 3-4 footers on the ride home.
Friends of Capt John (Dan, Mitch, and John) made up the crew today. They, like many of us were just "itching" to get out on the water. They were a great group of guys, who I hope come back this April for trophy season.

We are gong to lay low for about a week and try again. My theory is that the bay has not "turned over" yet. The warm water is still on the bottom, hence the bait and rock hanging deep. I'm going to put a post in the General Discussion section and ask others for any information about confirming my theory and if they know at what temp. the "turn over" occurs.

See you in a week
5th (Marty)