View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012, 08:48 AM

Default If I were a farmer

Well; I bit the bullet and put my boat in the slip on Bodkin Creek. Last year it was in the slip for about 2 weeks until I realized how good the fishing was south of us at the "False Channel". This year, I have been waiting for the "Sewage Spill" to disapate to the point where the white bottom of the boat doesn't turn brown.

Well; I took a little run last night to check out some areas for fish. I ran into Mike, who was out in his Shamrock just outside the Bodkin. I know Mike has said the water wasn't that bad in previous posts, but I gotta tell ya, compared to the water off CB, it's bad. You could still see little "tide lines" of brown froth in lots of areas. One time, I looked over the side of my boat to see big brown bubbles clinging to the sides on a drift while jigging (yuck).

Now to me; it seems we haven't had an excessive amount of rain to wash nutrients into the bay from farmers fields. I still have to attribute the poor water quality and alge blooms to the sewage spill. Farmers have to plant buffers and decrease the fertilizer used in production, yet the government (both State and Local) just say "OOPS" when they dump 50 million gallons of sewage in the bay.

In the Md Gazzette today, they speak of a study to evaluate the "bubble" system in Rock Creek. They have a system where two pumps run air through a hose on the bottom of the creek and aireate the creek. Residents say it has helped and rids the creek of the smell of "rotten eggs". The system has been in place for several years and is not currently operating at peake performance. It would cost $250,000 to replace the system. So what do we do, we spend $150,000 on a study to see if the system is doing any good. Then we will spend $250,000 more to replace it. Seems like we have a bunch of "turds" holding the purse strings of the County as well.

Looks like it's not just the farmers who are damaging the bay; in fact, they may be the smaller component. Sooo. if I were a farmer, I'd be pissed.

5th (Marty)

Last edited by 5th Tuition; 06-09-2012 at 10:04 AM.