View Single Post
Old 03-05-2014, 09:32 AM

You just keep catching fish in the Keys

My understanding:
The law went into effect last Dec. It can't be repealed (if that happens), until end of June or 1st of July. DNR is ANTICIPATED to issue an emergency order stopping enforcement for this season ONLY. This leaves next season as a possibility

Everything DNR has said, leads us to believe it was done as a "housekeeping" proposal. There has been a 3 rod rule for freshwater for quite some time, so to be consistent, they simply combined fresh and tidal to become the same restriction.

However, if you look deeper, DNR claims they have been in the process of accomplishing this for at least two years They claim it has been under study, gone through the approval process, including public comment period and no opposition was presented by either the public or their representatives (MSSA, CCA, SFAC).

Now, don't those two comments above seem to be opposite of each other? If it was a simple "housekeeping" procedure, why two years of pushing the agenda?

DNR is abandoning the measure this year MOSTLY because the tackle stores complained that a true IMPACT STUDY was not properly done and their business will be adversely affected. Based on this, they are not going to enforce the law this year.

I believe DNR will push to continue to support this restriction. Next year, restrictions appear to be coming. By scaring the hell out of us this year (with the three rod limit), DNR gets us to engage with them on HOW we impose restrictions next year. Will it be a rod restriction, planer board length, slot limit, reduced creel, return to trophy tags, start the season later, etc.; whatever the restriction, we (the rec) are now in the mind frame they want. We are considering WHAT restrictions we will tolerate, we are no longer debating IF restrictions need to take place.

DNR has won the war, we are simply trying to mitigate the consequences

Everyone knows I'm a conspiracy theory person, but that's how I see it working out. I wouldn't mind as much if DNR would come out and tell us, "In order to save the stock, we need to implement some restrictions", but they don't work that way, they do this sneaky underhanded manipulation of the public in order to obtain the result they want.

Politics, Politics, Politics
5th (Marty)

Last edited by 5th Tuition; 03-05-2014 at 09:36 AM.