View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 10:19 PM

Default Well oiled machine...

Don,
Thanks for the invite. Had a great day with you and Rick today and learned some new tricks.

You run a tight ship...the preparation you put into your spread made things go very smoothly for Rick and I. I don't think I've seen anyone put so much time/effort/detail into making a large spread so easy for the crew to understand and deploy...kudos to you.

Don has a print out created on an X Cell spreadsheet/log system. Every rod is made up prior to the trip with the lure of choice, then entered into the spreadsheet. Each rod is numbered (masking tape and a Sharpie) to a matching rod holder making the placement simple for crew members. His rigs are predetermined so he can track which lure/color/weight/depth gets hit. He also writes on each rod's masking tape how many bars to let out. Its not easy to HO on someones boat for the first time and know EXACTLY how to deploy 14 rods without asking questions.

Don also did a very smart thing by not dropping lines until he found what he was looking regarding bait. Once the lines were deployed we quickly hooked up... Rule 1-fish where the fish are. Many novice fishermen get to their fishing grounds, blindly drop lines then wonder why they aren't catching fish. Its hard to find bait/fish trolling along at 2.5mph! When you aren't catching fish the bay can be an awful big space...at least get started on the right foot.

Don mentioned that he runs Capt Wayne Morgan's spread. Capt Morgan will be giving a presentation on Dec 14th@ 7pm at the Earliegh Heights Fire Hall on Rt 2/Severna Park. Its a no brainer to attend.

Thanks again for the invite Don and nice fishing with you Rick...good times!

1998 Sea Hunt 202 Triton
"Hoopty"