View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 01:14 PM

It is important to note that my understanding is that the desire is to not increase the size of the pie, just change the size of the slices along the coast. It wouldnt directly impact the Chesapeake Bay, only the coastal fishery. However it would show a mindset that commercial fishing for striped bass is gaining in value to ASMFC, NOAA, and the Dept of Commerce. I dont see how it can be justified given the far greater socio-economic value of the fish as a gamefish vs. the commercial market. It is clear that if anything the trend should continue to grow for the recreational allocation at the expense of the commercial side as there is no indication that market needs arent being met for the fish commercially. There are many clear indications that the needs for the fish on the recreational side arent being met.

Reds, While i am not sure where I stand on gamefish only status, you said it has been tried in Maryland. I am a born and raised NJ boy so I missed those actions and cannot find anything on that. Was there a legislative bill at one point and time or was it something that was attempted through DNR?