Thread: Off the grid
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 09:45 PM

Damn, I even took the photo 90* off center to try to get it to turn out correctly looks like I was 90* off on my calibrations. Now it's totally upside down

Well, you get the picture. I just had to support the local tackle shop. I picked up two packs of barrel swivels (size 1/0). These are labeled "Power Swivels" and the package says they are good up to 212 kg. That's pretty hefty. I weigh 195 lbs and that equates to 88.6 kg These cost 350 yen each, or $3.50 US for five in a pack.
Next is a 3 pack of ball bearing swivels (80 kg) and they were either $5 or $6. I can't tell by the receipt
I also picked up a package of hooks for livelinning. Looks like a pack of 8 hooks that are rated for 100 lbs for (again) either $5 or $6.
Finally, I got some fluorocarbon line for $15. I had to get 22 lb test line because all the 25 lb was gone. It must be a popular line in Japan also. The spool has 110 yards, so that's not to bad.
All told, after tax, everything came to 3,300 yen, or $33 US.

He had an app on his phone where he could speak into the phone and English appeared. We got across some basic communication with the iPhone help. He enjoyed the photos of the Chesapeake 27 both in the water, in the snow, and on the trailer. He was very interested in the Honda motor. We had a good laugh because it was not powered by an American engine. I told him that Yamaha was a very popular motor in the US.
The last item you see on the table was a gift to me from him. It looks like a large shrimp lure. I can see that it has small nasty hooks at the bottom (two sets of six hooks about a inch apart. Get these in your hand and you have a bad day. The body appears to be a silver plastic, but it's covered with a perforated cloth outer fabric. Really a neat looking lure, but I bet Captain John won't be making them in his garage any time soon

Before I left, he took a photo of us together so he could post it on his Facebook page Gee, even in Japan I am computer illiterate

My wife talked to Captain John, he has been out only once, but did pick up a couple of fish. I don't know where or what size, but Charlie Schneider might fill in the details

5th (Marty)