View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parobellum View Post
We are new to fishing the bay, coming out of Oxford MD - up to this point we have been fishing from the docks and having a great time, but we are looking to move up in the world... I suppose there are a million answers to this, but has anyone seen a "must have" list for tackle - both rod and lures? We will be fishing in the Tred Avon/Choptank as well as the Bay near the Choptank. I have read Rudows book as well.

Thanks for any suggestions.
One of my "must have" lures is a chrome 1/2 ounce rattletrap. Its good for nice sized White Perch and Rockfish up to about 28 inches on a good day. Even Blues and Catfish have attacked it plenty this time of the year. I usually mash the barbs down since the dual treble hooks usually do a good job of holding the fish.

I'll get lynched for admitting this, but one of my favorite rods is a 6'6 Shakespeare medium action Ugly Stick with a decent Okuma reel on it. 10# Powerpro for the line this year. Its a great all around utility rod, but there are always better choices if youre targeting specific fish and fishing a specific way (casting crankbaits, jigging spoons or soft plastics, etc)

Fishing the bay can get expensive fast. I fish 2 or 3 times a week.....but sometimes its freshwater, looking for Largemouth or Crappie, and sometimes its looking for Perch or Stripers on the bay. So a lot of my stuff is "multi purpose" gear.