View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie View Post
Spot77, Do you have any real pull in the water quality situation? If so do you think we can make a difference? If you do I'll send a PM and we could join forces to try. Thanks, Bob
Not really.

I have a lot of good contacts and strong relationships in the legislature, but they're not going to do anything right now....and probably nothing for the next couple of years until the economic numbers start looking dramatically better.

Nobody wants to really tackle the biggest problems.....that would upset too many powerful campaign donors.

For now the only impact I can have is within my own neighborhood. I'm responsible for our beaches and parks, and we have a lot of waterfront property. We get a few volunteer work parties together every year to clean debris and assemble rain barrels from recycled materials to help reduce runoff, but that's about the extent of it.

I'm working on a big shoreline erosion control project, but I suspect that will be 5 to 7 years before we get all of the permits and funding to implement that. And by then the shoreline will have changed drastically again and I'll probably have to start all over again.