View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 07:55 AM

Default 2018 Prepping for Spring

So; Winter is beginning to wane. We have daffodils about 3 inches high in the flower garden and tulips are busting through as well. Yesterday was 76* and today is calling for 77* or better

What are you doing with your boat or tackle to get ready for the coming season?

So far, this winter, I have put new line on reels that were getting low. I bought several new reels online and incorporated them into my spread (all board lines are Penn 340 with 40# fluorescent yellow mono). I now have all boat reels the same as well (Penn 345 with 80-100# power pro).

Today; I hope to "dip" some weights. Captain John has always dipped his weights in "plastidip" so I could quickly grab the correct weight when I was working the back of the boat. I will finally follow suit. Last year, a few of my weights were getting beat up and I was guessing (is this a 10oz or 12oz)?
So I bought the three colors (red, yellow,blue) and will dip them later today.

8oz (yellow)
10oz (blue)
12oz (red)
20 oz (green) Have to mix the left over yellow & blue

Besides; Mako Mike swears the colored weights are the reason Capt John catches fish

My next step (not today) will be to get all the rods (21) down, strip about 10 ft off the reel and retie a new snap swivel to each rod (with a red bead added). Then, it's retie my leaders.

So, what are you doing, or getting ready to do??????????
5th