View Single Post
Old 03-17-2017, 08:59 PM

Default St Patrick's Day Fish

Jason splashed his boat today, so we headed to the Power Plant to try our luck. We couldn't get out until the afternoon, and the rips were always best for me early in the morning (before a lot of boat traffic); but you go when you can go

We started with great optimism and threw 10 inch BKD's. We kept a close eye on the few boats around us, and saw small fish being brought over the gunnels. I switched to a 6 inch BKD and picked up the first fish of 2017.

Jason switched to a smaller bait as well, and proceeded to out fish me We put 18 fish in the boat (average 20 inches). Our biggest fish were in the 24-26 inch range.

At least we had some pull-age. Weather bounced back and forth between 5-6 mph wind; to 15-20 mph winds One moment we were in shirts, next minute we were in sweatshirts. One minute the braided lines were silent, the next minute, the braid was singing in the wind

I can't thank Jason enough for asking me to join him, my boat is still in need of being loaded with gear Guess I need to get my a$$ in motion and get ready for the season.

I will say that south of the gas docks, the gannets were diving like crazy on bait. Didn't see many gannets north of gas docks. Bait balls are not showing up on the screen; but the winter jellies are out in numbers

Maybe they will be done by opening day

Water temps were only slightly above 40* in the bay proper; 43-44 in the rips.
It doesn't look promising for trolling 6 rods at the present time; but we know how quickly that can change.

So, final report is that we had a fun trip to the rips with some success. More reports to follow soon
5th
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2330.jpg (95.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2331.jpg (90.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2332.jpg (93.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2333.jpg (91.9 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by 5th Tuition; 03-17-2017 at 09:05 PM.