View Single Post
Old 11-24-2014, 12:20 PM

I actually support the regulations being scoped by DNR that comply with the ASMFC reductions. While I would love to see the sport season go to the end of the year, I think the regulations still offer ample opportunity and are easy to understand as transitioning from current regulations. The trophy season may be tough to reach a limit with a 36" min but it is a short season that was created to give Marylanders a chance at a trophy fish. That opportunity still remains. The regular season regulations of a 20" min will cut down on the harvest some but I don't think it will deter fisherman from making trips and the opportunity of taking a fish for oneself is still reasonable from my eyes.

I still hope that the ASMFC works towards Chesapeake Bay reference points so that the fish can be ensured to be managed properly in the bay. I certainly hope the 1 fish per person along the coast will achieve the necessary reductions to prevent us from reaching an overfished status. I also think it is enough of a carrot for sportsmen to take trips. I will still likely tow to the ocean or make a trip out of NJ with my dad for 1 fish over 28". Heck those regulations had many take trips in the bay during the trophy season.