View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 11:26 PM

First, let me say that I don't normally jig for fish, so this might have an impact on the rest of my post. If I go out on someone else's boat I try not to burn their spot. Hell, I try not to even post until AFTER they do. I let them post about where we were, how many fish we caught, who was with us, and that sort of thing. I then try to add something to the original post; a humorous story, a jab at a fellow angler; whatever.

As far as "burning" my spot; I often burn my own spot, mostly because to me (and my type of fishing, trolling, livelining, cut bait); there is no SPOT to burn. If I'm trolling the Love point area, that's a lot of water. I'll catch fish as far north as Kentmore or as far south as Poplar Island. One day the fish may be up top with bait breaking and the next day bait is deep and fish have followed. In fact, often, we have that senario throughout one single day. The fish may be in shallow water or deep. Singles may be hot today and umbrella's tomorrow.

With livelinning, I found Poplar Island to be hot last year. A few years ago it was Gum Thickets. But once again, I can find a spot today and go back to it tomorrow, and the fish have moved. In fact, if your're not catching fish MOVE. I may move a quarter mile, half mile, or 200 feet to find the "right" place to toss the bait. How can someone "burn" that spot?

I appreciate all the help I get from fellow anglers. I try to call on my cell phone to those I know are in the area when I'm on fish.

I know Mark (Baldzilla) will think I'm kissing ass, but I want to thank a couple of the better fishermen on the board who consistantly help me. Noone is more helpfull than Mark Lagano or Skip. They are out there more often than I, and are willing to share info whenever I call.

I must admit; this is HOW I use their information. Let's say I get a tip that they are trolling just east of Thomas Point Light in 35 ft of water. I don't run up alongside of them and drop my lines. I intentionally, run north or south of them. I figure we are working as a team after they give my info. I, as a team member, now need to try to find some additional fish for them. I know the fish are shallow, so I run to #1 down by West River. I start my search in 35 ft and hope to find fish of my own. If I do, I call and tell them of the fish and now, they know which way to work, as the tide changes. If they lose contact with their fish, they can head south. If I don't find fish at #1, I'm trolling north toward them and the fish. Eventually, we wind up in the same area (hopefully the most productive area) and we both hammer some nice fish.

This fall/winter we had about six boats working together in the same area for several weeks. We would exchange information freely and we would see each other two or three times during the day. Nobody followed in anyone's wake or cut off each others lines.

I know this is a long post, but I just wanted to let everyone know how I use the information I get from others. I wouldn't write so much, but it appears to be a sensitive and pertinant subject. Someone on Tidalfish may be suspended over this topic, so it's worth discussing.
5th (Marty)