View Single Post
Old 07-23-2019, 06:50 AM

Default What's Happening?

I've been out a couple of times, once with the "master" of livelinning (Mlag) and again on my boat yesterday.
With Mark, we hit the bridge to pick off some nice mid 20's fish for the grill.

Yesterday, I used my spot at a location 10 minutes from my slip
Outgoing current was suposed to quit around 6:30, so we got an early start, and were anchored up with lines in the water around 6am.
Not a lot of time to catch our 6 fish, but doable, if fish were biting
Anchored up in the perfect place (no other boats) and sent three spot toward the structure. Had a few spot take us down into the rocks and we had to break off our leaders. I decided to put out a livelinning float with spot attached while I made up some additional leaders and hooks.
I saw my bobber running against the current and my chest puffed with superiority for thinking of using a float while my guests simply tossed live spot into rocks
I picked up my rod, set the hook, and enjoyed the fight; until we netted a big catfish As you can imagine, I heard about my "special catch" all morning

We boated about 10 fish to get our 6 keepers (some were too small, some were right at 19 and released). Once the fish realized there was a boat feeding them, the action picked up considerably. Usually had a runoff seconds after spot hit the water.

With our 6 keepers in the box, I headed farther north to check out a place to see if it was holding fish. When we arrived, current was dead. We tossed three spot in the "strike zone" and soon had two fish at the boat (one would have been a keeper). This was useful information to store away in my back pocket.

Soon after, we were off to replenish our spot supply. With three of us working toward filling the live well, we added another 50 spot to what remained from our morning excursion.

At 9:30 we headed back to the slip. It was getting warm on the water, and even warmer on land. Mark cleaned fish while I cleaned the boat (sweat rolling down into my eyes).
The airconditioning in the truck was a relief

Dr appointments, food shopping, and everyday life will keep me off the water until possibly friday.
Has anyone else been out?? I heard trolling has been successful in the upper bay. Capt John is now catching Spanish below the bridge. What's happening on your boat??
5th