View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 11:36 PM

First of all, Marty you are too funny..

Reds, Please give the COMAR codification number because I believe you are wrong.

According to the MD law (page 86 here: http://www.sha.maryland.gov/OOTS/mot...erhandbook.pdf )

Quote:
MAXIMUM WIDTH – MEASURING - LIMITS EXPLAINED -
EXCEPTIONS
The width of a vehicle includes any load that it carries, but is exclusive of safety and energy conservation devices, such as side mirrors, turn signal lamps, marker lamps, steps and handholds for entry or egress, flexible fender extensions, mud-flaps and spray suppressant devices and load induced tire bulges. Except for side mirrors, no other safety or energy conservation device shall extend more than 3 inches on each side of the vehicle.
The width of a motor home or travel trailer shall be exclusive of retractable awnings installed by the vehicle manufacturer or dealer, provided that the awnings do no extend more than 6 inches from each side of the vehicle. The maximum vehicle or vehicle combination width limit in Maryland is 102 inches (8 feet 6 inches). Certain roadways in the state may be posted by traffic signs prohibiting travel by 102 inch vehicles – i.e., I-895 Baltimore Harbor Tunnel where the maximum allowable vehicle/combination width is 96 inches (8 feet).
The rubrail is just over 2" on each side making up a total of 4" or so. Therefore the boat itself has a beam of 8'6" with the rubrail making up the entire Judge stated 8'10" beam. The Rubrail is a "safety bumper" and I have a confirming email from the SHA. Thus, the 27 Chesapeake is legally towable.

Last edited by B-Faithful; 02-07-2011 at 12:24 AM.