View Single Post
Old 01-03-2016, 10:09 PM

Default Catch & Release 1/3/16 Smith Point Va.

The wind forecast for today sucked so I didn't plan a fishing trip. Sure enough, when I woke up this morning it was blowing pretty good. A quick check on my phone confirmed it. 15 gusting to 20 at the weather buoy in the mouth of the Potomac. Decided it would be a good day to do some painting that I've been putting off for too long. I found it tough to get motivated, especially since some friends had fished yesterday and crushed fish at Smith Pt.

I kept looking at the buoy data, and it was still blowing at about 10am. BUT it was a west wind. Would I be OK with an offshore wind? Finally decided at about 10:30 that the painting could wait and I would give it a go. Came out of St. Jeromes creek and hugged the shore line down towards PLO. It actually was a very nice ride, UNTIL I had to cross the mouth of the river!! OMG!! I got my ass kicked crossing the Potomac, but when I got to the fishing grounds I again had protection, now from the Virginia shore line.

The birds were there and the fish were hungry!! Bailed fish for 4 hours on light tackle. Long 1/2 hour drifts were common and a really good grade of fish 25"-32". Nice start to the new year!