View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 05:42 PM

I wanted to poke my nose out and check for possible debris and to see how dirty the water was today The good news is the water looked just fine. No logs or grass to deal with, but no fish either

I don't usually get skunked, but today, I got my a$$ handed to me. Mickey and I left the dock at 9am and ran to where I have been having success. We ran past a few charters working north of us and I figured if the fish moved, I would try that new area out. I dropped 6 lines and trolled my area, nothing. I switched out 3 lines with different tackle and still nothing.

Pulled lines and ran to where the charters were working. They were definitely in a search pattern. Nobody was netting fish. We kept a close eye on two charters and never saw anybody reel in anything

Pulled lines again and went to the opposite shore. Dropped lines in an area I like to liveline. Saw one boat chumming the area and they caught a small fish chumming. Trolled the area to no avail

Finally decided to pull lines, run back to eastern side and hope to see some breaking fish or birds on the ride home. Mickey and I saw few birds today. Only small clusters of seagulls pecking at dead fish or sitting in a tide line.

The winds kicked up some nice whitecaps out of the south and we rode the crest of the waves back to Bodkin Creek.

I don't know if the rain moved the fish or if they just had lockjaw today. I did see some nice marks in a couple places, but no rods responded to the marks. Mike and I got a chance to catch up on a nice cool day in August, and he did bring me a big Mako Shark steak for the grill from his Montauk trip

I guess I need to find them again!
Best of luck,
5th