View Single Post
Old 02-24-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlag View Post
I see you forgot one Marty. Let me give you a hint......wwwwwwwb
Lol; I didn't forget
My deep rod (center over the motor) is reserved for the wwwb if necessary. I'll be damned if I'm going to put it out in the morning. When you fish with a bunch of old guys (retired), nobody want to reel that one in, even if there's a fish on it

Besides, all my fish this year are coming off my deep umbrellas with the blinking lights attached

However, this is another example of being flexible with your spread. Some guys simply put out there spread and ride around all day without catching. Then, back at the dock, they can't understand why they aren't catching.

If my crew has any reason to find fault with me as their captain, it's that I'm always tinkering with the spread

Based on where I'm seeing bait (depth), I'll always say to them, "let out another bar on each boat rod" or "take that 20 oz weight off and replace it with a 32oz".

I "tinker" with boat rods more than the board rods; simply because it's easier. However, when we pull a side to clear winter jellies or remove grass it's fair game to tinker with the board rods.

You will notice that BOTH sides of the boards start out "the same". At least in my head they do However, if I need to, I'll reset one side one bar longer (or shorter) than the other side.

If (or when) we start catching, then we can figure out what distance is best.

If all goes as planned; my lines will all be about 4 bars back off the boards at the end of the day. As we catch fish and reset, the lines go out short (no longer than the shortest rod). The sun is now getting higher in the sky, and the fish are moving up in the water column (along with the bait). I can see bait flipping on the surface, and all my short board lines are getting hit

The crew is exhausted from bringing in fish, and we head for the barn with smiles on our faces. last year was NOT like this. We were lucky to get our three fish after a long day at the Power Plant/Gas Docks.

I know you and Jason are going to be calling over the radio, "Fish On The WWB" all spring just to get me to put out that line
5th