Thread: Holy Crap!!
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 01:34 PM

I dont care what the regulations are as long as we dont lose days... I am fine with the no-take slot or the 36" min. providing we are in compliance with the ASMFC and other states are doing their part too.

To play devils advocate though:
1. ASMFC tech committee advised against any form of slot due to the uncertainties they create
2. ASMFC Law enforcement committee advised against it too since it creates a lot more problems with law enforcement.
3. MCBA does have a message problem given all their testimony during the preseason debates and public hearings. They repeatedly testified that all the fish they released during the no-take slot of 2007 died upon release. (I am glad to see through their proposal that releasing fish isnt the concern they originally thought it was.. Marty maybe they would support eliminating the rod restriction during the preseason for you since that regulation is merely geared at success not mortality )

As far as the issue of killing breeders, the fact of the matter is that Maryland only accounts for less than 5% of the entire SSB harvest of all Atlantic states during the trophy season. It is typically timed so the majority of the spawn is over. Plus, The percentage of fish caught during trophy season that are over 40" is very very small. Allowing for a fish over 40" is going to result in few fish taken yet preserve the hunt for fish of a lifetime. It also preserves state records and tournaments for those of us who like to participate in the sport aspect of fishing. The coastal reduction is going to have a far greater positive impact than what we could do here in MD on the SSB.

I will say that I do think the one fish over 36" would be better for my charters as most who go with me are not avid fishermen and I believe are going to have a hard time throwing back a 37" fish, which could be a fish of a lifetime for them, only to keep a 31" fish. I also think the no-take slot will be much tougher to catch a limit than the one at 36" given the last couple of years have shown mostly fish 34-38" (which will be an inch or two larger this year)

I also do fear a lot of fisheries violations coming across the NRP blotter with the no-take slot thus creating a lot more criticism of the fishery.

Last edited by B-Faithful; 02-11-2015 at 01:44 PM.