View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Guy View Post
While I'm pretty disappointed at the recent vote to increase commercial catch and the limits on C&R, I will throw this out there. The DNR is more than the heads of each division or office or whatever they are called. I've interacted with a lot of good people at the DNR who have done out of there way to give me and my colleagues a hand with their research. Many people have donated their time and allowed me to borrow equipment in order to do ecological research intended on helping the natural resources of the state. I am not suggesting a free pass for the agency, I only ask that when you consider not buying a license from the state this year, that there are a lot of hard working, honest, well intentioned people that will be impacted. However, for all employee, it's the nature of the game when you work for a government agency, but just something to think about.
Bug Guy, I completely agree. The individuals that work DNR are truly trying to do the right thing, and work hard doing it. The job is a labor of love. They could certainly make more money in another occupation. Coming from a scientific background, I can say politics isn’t something most biologists are trained for. I doubt most individuals in DNR have input into policy issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
When we speak of DNR it is not the NRP which is the Natural Resources Police. They do not make the DNR policies....just enforce it. Most of the people who work for DNR are sincere, hard working and honest folks trying to make a difference. The problem comes at the TOP which is PURE politics. There are MANY people who work for DNR that are as disgusted as we are. Most folks who don't fish or hunt could care less about DNR policies and the ones that do fish and hunt better get more involved. That is the only way it will change. I think people in general are getting fed up with our political leaders and I see a BIG change coming on...............Gary

Crabby and Son I hope change for the better is in our future. I am just having a hard time figuring out all of the politics, players involved and the subterfuge that goes along with Maryland fisheries management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds View Post
I believe the overall harvest (for Striped Bass) for the east coast is presently 70% recreational catch, 30% commercial.

And yeah, ASMFC meetings are a lot of politics. Just remember without the politics, Maryland would still be a producer state without any harvest.

The ASMFC proposed commercial increase in Striped Bass harvest has nothing to do with the Chesapeake Bay Quota...That's written in stone at 42.5% of the quota.

Red, I appreciate the input and the numbers. Recently, we were told that C&R of migratory stripers could have an impact on the current population of fish. I will add that little to no significant evidence was given to support this policy. Then we switch gears and possibly up the total allowable catch in another sector. More fish taken and killed = less population and potentially lower spawning numbers. Quota management?????? Population Management????? Management for abundance?????

I just don’t understand the politics behind these decisions

I guess, I should just crawl back under my rock and hope something miraculous happens.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Thanks for the managment education

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot

Last edited by Fish Nut; 02-17-2010 at 09:51 AM.