View Single Post
Old 10-27-2015, 08:52 AM

Oh, I forgot to tell you my sailboat story

I'm trolling an edge south from Hacketts. I have a crab pot line on my inside and deep water to my outside. I'm trolling about 3.5 - 4.5 mph (depending on whether I was going up the wave or down it). Behind me, I see a sailboat coming out of the Severn; under sail and gaining on me.

I now get edgy when I see another boat headed right up my a$$.

I turn to port (deeper water) to get away from him. This takes me off my "edge" but better than the alternative. I run this course for a few minutes and look back to see him still headed up my stern. I now have enough room to cut back to starboard without getting into pots. So I get back on my original course.

Here he comes, headed straight for me. He's now close enough for me to start waving my arms at him. There are NO other boats anywhere near me. You would have to use binoculars to find another boat He's too far away to hear me, and I would have been shouting into the stiff wind.

I decide to start blowing my horn, maybe that sound will cut through the wind. Still no response. I see movement inside the cockpit and as he passes 50 ft away from me, he come out on deck.

I yelled, "REALLY, there's not another boat in sight and you have to run up on me and my fishing lines like this". "What the F@%k's wrong with you?" I didn't improve the relations between sailors and power boaters

He said, "I was staying inside of you". I said, "Don't stay inside of me, get the f@%k away from me".

He went back down below, probably to set his course to Norfolk I hope

I know several of my friends carry a small canister air horn at their helm. Looks like I need to get one; even for those days when only two boats leave their dock
5th