View Single Post
Old 02-17-2014, 05:28 PM

Bruce, like you, I tend to throw out a mix of both white and green shads. As far as head color, I am all over the place. Two years ago, purple heads were hot. Last year, John Deere green heads were hot.
Again, I put out what I have as far as head color, and it's an eclectic mix to say the least. I don't pay as much attention to what head colors get hit, as I do to shad colors and length either behind the boat or off the boards. Don (Hunter) keeps a very detailed chart which includes head color on his catch. Perhaps he will chime in if he gets off the water in the Keys
Because I run so many lines (20 in the spring), I feel I have enough lures, and colors, to entice the stripers to react. If I only pulled 10 lines or fewer, it would be more important to "get the color right". To be perfectly honest, if I notice that green is the hot shad in the morning, I rarely change other lures, because white may be hot in the afternoon.

I will say, I like mixing a few lures with opposing colors (hair and shad DON'T match). A green hair parachute gets a white shad on several of my lures

So, if head color is a big deal, I have been lucky enough to have enough of the "right stuff" out there by accident I will be interested in what others have to say. I know Mike (garlien) will just say, "throw out a rattle trap of any color"
5th (Marty)