CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   I know it is probably taboo (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=597)

B-Faithful 03-22-2010 10:08 AM

I know it is probably taboo

However, has anyone drifted bunker halves under bobbers during the preseason (with circle hooks off course)? I was wondering how it would work.. :)

Blakesdad 03-22-2010 10:21 AM

How much line between bobber and hook ??? Are you anchoring up ?? Kinda like chumming ?

Seems to me unless fish are breaking, you'd be too shallow. And if they are breaking, nothing more exciting than top water action.

B-Faithful 03-22-2010 10:26 AM

I would weight the lines at different depths. I would probably run from 6' to 30' under the bobbers. Kind of like eeling but with dead bait. I would drift (would be best with a west or east wind to cover different water depths). Could be fun with lighter gear. Just thinking.

Blakesdad 03-22-2010 10:50 AM

I guess if you had enough beer on board, I could stick it out for an hour or two, otherwise I'm all for running and gunning.

I'd also use 6" balloons instead of bobbers.. Nice Pastel colors.. Wont help fishing, but will make everyone that passes you VERY CURIOUS....;)

B-Faithful 03-22-2010 10:59 AM

I like the balloon idea but I tend to use cut pool noodles. :p

Billj 03-22-2010 11:43 AM

b..

With only 6 rods during c&r, just troll with your planers and spinning rods;)

Hockleyneck 03-22-2010 11:53 AM

It would definately work if you had marked fish and could get a good drift.

Fish Nut 03-22-2010 12:15 PM

Greg, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. I would set up similar to a sharking spread but much lighter and further up in the water column no deeper than 10’. The flats guys have live bait, and a mullet salted and rigged similar to offshore style would be nice. I would even set up a drip bag to add some sent to the water. I bet with roof rod holder’s gunnels and flat line clips one could put 8 or 10 rods in the water :D

You already have some good location to give this an attempt

Definitely go with whole rigged fish.

wino 03-22-2010 01:25 PM

Did it years ago in the Honga, actually was quite popular among the locals. We never used bobbers just freelined them in a drifting boat, worked great.

240 LTS 03-24-2010 06:03 AM

Why couldn't you just use the rod holders around the boat, kinda like spider drifting, egg sinkers above a swivel 3-4' up from the circle hook, all at different depths?
If you mark fish, just free spool or wind up the bait to the proper depth.

Or

As your running and mark fish, swing back around to get on the correct drift and have the baits dropped down just above them and drift through the school.

Keep a LTJ rod at the ready also.

Jeff