CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Help those of us north of the bridge with Mortons Salt (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=3620)

garlien 06-01-2019 09:49 AM

Help those of us north of the bridge with Mortons Salt

I am thinking the near all time lows in salinity... Close to 2.0 around the Magothy are keeping fish pushed to the south... Just the other night I saw a couple dead carp floating near love point... While I love catching freshwater bass I don't want to be catching them at the Bay Bridge.

So... If all of you, and everyone you know, takes a box of Mortons Salt out every time you go fishing it could help those of us up north see a normal fishing patterm again...

One box won't change much but if we each do our part I and others may be able to fish for proper bay species in the near future.

Thanks in advance to all of you who will help with h this "Salt the Bay" campaign.

Chessie27 06-02-2019 07:34 PM

Hahaha!! I like the way you’re thinking Mike.

Mako mike 06-02-2019 07:53 PM

I just read a article that stated it would take three years of drought conditions to bring the salinity levels in the bay back to normal levels. I hate to say it but it may soon be time to hold a funeral for the Chesapeake Bay

garlien 06-03-2019 03:45 PM

More reason for us to join together and take the Morton salt challenge.

:)

garlien 06-03-2019 04:41 PM

More reason for us to join together and take the Morton salt challenge.

:)

Spot77 06-04-2019 02:09 PM

"Think Locally, Act Estuaryily"

Spot77 06-04-2019 02:17 PM

Oh...and at least the low salinity might keep the dolphins away.

As much as I enjoy seeing them, I know better than to waste time fishing near them.

Mako mike 06-04-2019 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spot77 (Post 23772)
Oh...and at least the low salinity might keep the dolphins away.

As much as I enjoy seeing them, I know better than to waste time fishing near them.

It’s also keeping everything else away including crabs! I have three commercial boats on the hard at my marina that have no intentions of going in unless things improve. It’s cost them $500.00 per trip for fuel, bait, insurance, salaries, cleaning gear, lost gear, etc. can’t say I blame them as business owners. One of them has another boat down in hoopers and is barely making a $$$!! He’s catching more catfish in his pots then crabs. Sorry to say but the bay is a f$&#ed up mess that will take several years to come back to its norm, if ever!

Spot77 06-05-2019 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mako mike (Post 23773)
It’s also keeping everything else away including crabs! I have three commercial boats on the hard at my marina that have no intentions of going in unless things improve. It’s cost them $500.00 per trip for fuel, bait, insurance, salaries, cleaning gear, lost gear, etc. can’t say I blame them as business owners. One of them has another boat down in hoopers and is barely making a $$$!! He’s catching more catfish in his pots then crabs. Sorry to say but the bay is a f$&#ed up mess that will take several years to come back to its norm, if ever!

:eek::eek::eek:

But the state said this is going to be the best year for crabs EVER!!

Haven't seen a single crab in the area yet and no one has been crabbiong in ebay that I've seen.....Although today I did see a commercial crab boat heading past my house up into the creek.

I'll have to ask my wife how the commercial crab boats at her marina have been doing.