CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   Fishing Reports (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Done (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=3642)

5th Tuition 11-03-2019 07:41 AM

Done

:mad:
Second skunk north of bridge; so I'm going to do you northerners a favor. I'm pulling boat and placing on trailer to be able to go south for a better bite.

This should guarantee that the fishing up north will take off and be fantastic:eek:

Lots of birds working 8-10 inch fish everywhere (thought it was a bad YOY hatch). And bait showing all day. Only thing is it appears to still be bay anchovies (silver sides) and NOT peanut bunker:mad: I'm sure bigger rock would prefer the larger table fare:)

Maybe it was simply the cold front that was messing things up; but the fact that I had two skunks in a row, plus the fact that we still have debris in the water (had a 38 Silverton taking on water yesterday after hitting a log), it's time to do something else.

If the health holds, I'll be wearing shorts, sandals, and sun lotion out of Chesapeake Beach. We all know the weather south of Annapolis is sooo much warmer:D:D:D

With side curtains, back curtain, and Mr Buddy heater, I'll be ready for this last push for fishing.

Who knows what restrictions will finally be in place next year:mad: Good thing I bought golf clubs:)
5th

Chessie27 11-03-2019 07:10 PM

Come on Marty, you smell good as a skunk :D

5th Tuition 11-27-2019 07:36 AM

Was out with a friend north of the bridge again yesterday (skunk). I'm not saying there aren't fish north of the bridge, but I'm saying, "You can have at em?"

Too much effort for skunks. We hit 5 areas that are usually productive, even if it's for smaller fish. Nobody home:mad: Even the birds must be ganged up down south. We saw a few terns (liar birds) dipping on some bait near the surface, but that's all. Three years ago, we had pelicans all the way to the Key Bridge working bigger bait:eek::eek:

People often point to health care or education as to reasons why we shouldn't give the government even more authority over our lives, but all you need to do is look at the wonderful job they have done with the rockfish population in the chesapeake bay.

As we ignorant fishermen continued to tell the State and Atlantic Marine Fisheries that populations were dwindling. Their response continued to be "SUSTAINABLE". It was the magic word that allowed continued taking of the resource. In fact, each year was sustainable, sustainable, sustainable, until "Crisis", "Crisis", "Crisis", we need to take drastic action.

I was nearly drummed off Tidal Fish as being "Anti Conservationist" (even by friends over there), because I was against the circle hook requirements. My position was that it was just an illusion by the State to appear that they were doing something. It was a new rule that cost the State NOTHING to institute, yet made them appear as though they were taking action.
What happened, all the guys on TF continued to cry about all the dead floaters even after circle hooks was a law. AND, how many people do you know that were even checked by DNR for using circle hooks?? Yep, it was a big initiative by the State:rolleyes:

Now we have a real crisis on our hands again. I'm not so sure that the proposed restrictions will bring back the population. Could it be that the migratory stock no longer makes the turn into the Chesapeake Bay like they used to?? After many many years of turning into the Chesapeake and hitting Virginia (where most of the food source has been eliminated by Omega Protien), perhaps they just turned around and headed back into the ocean.

Oh wait, it's not that they didn't come, it's because we continually missed them (that was DNR's answer). Remember, one year they came in too early, because it was a warm winter. Another year, it was because they came in too late, because it was a cold winter. "The rivers are full of spawning fish", they kept saying. Bullchit. We were out there, and nobody was home:mad::mad:
If fewer and fewer cows made their way up to the Susqahana to spawn, fewer and fewer fry have that "imprint" to return to the chesapeake.

Over many years, we may get a spawning stock to return (there are a lot of one/two year old fish in the bay), but that's almost going to need another moratorium to get 30+ inch breeding stock.

Virginia has finally stopped turning a blind eye to Omega, and that may help as well.

I just see four/five very lean years ahead.

Can guys like Greg (Befaithful) continue to move and follow the fish, sure. But guys who are tied to slips are going to have a much harder time. Some of my friends who used their boats primarily as fishing boats, have already made the switch to pleasure boats. It's going to be very interesting to see how aggressive the State and ASMF get with the restrictions.

The only thing I can say for certain is, VOTE TRUMP in 2020:D:D:D
I only say this because I'm a "cult" member and I've been mind controlled not to vote democrat. At least that's what all the mainstream media tells me this week:eek:

Have a great Thanksgiving,
5th

Chessie27 12-01-2019 06:13 PM

I barely fished this year. I think I made 7 trips and most of them were fundraisers. I’ve been training for a moratorium. I’m not sure what the right answer is but I sure hope SOMEONE does.

Spot77 12-01-2019 06:28 PM

If I was a migratory fish, I'd probably learn to not migrate into the bay.

Low oxygen, debris fields from Exelon, millions of gallons of raw sewage spilled annually into the water, runoff from over development and stormwater systems that are incapable of slowing the flow of asphalt heated stormwater.......

We can make all the fishing regulations in the world but I'm pretty certain those rules would have a negligible affect on the fishery. Practicing good techniques like reducing treble hook use, minimal fish handling of catch and release and not keeping small fish is what good fishermen already do. We don't need laws to tell us that, and the people ignoring these obvious common sense techniques couldn't care less about the rules or laws.

I guess we'll all have to get used to catching catfish and snakeheads.

Mako mike 12-02-2019 07:17 AM

I truly believe most of theses fish are no longer breeding in the bay. I think most are favoring cleaner coastal waters in New Jersey. Most of the back bays on the lower jersey shore are pristine compared to the Chesapeake. I say Marty Carter’should be appointed to the secretary to the DNR

Finprof 12-02-2019 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mako mike (Post 23874)
I truly believe most of theses fish are no longer breeding in the bay. I think most are favoring cleaner coastal waters in New Jersey.

For some direct evidence on the fish changing behavior, I live in New Jersey most of the week but have a house and boat in St Michaels so I fish both Jersey and the Chesapeake. Last April my boat stayed in its slip in St Michaels and Dan's boat stayed on its trailer while we went on a six pack out of Raritan Bay.
The captain and mate were so sloppy that Dan was thinking there was no way we could catch fish with four rods and muddy parachute tandems. Dan was wrong. We caught a nice mid-30s fish about every 15 minutes and went over pods that were good enough to jig. These fish are staging to go up the Hudson and there is some recent evidence that they are going into the Raritan as well. The fishery in the Hudson keeps getting better while the Chesapeake keeps getting worse. The fish are probably not as numerous in Raritan Bay than they were in the Chesapeake simply because Raritan Bay is so much smaller so it doesn't mean that the stock is fine. We were fishing within sight of the New York skyline and the water was cleaner than any Chesapeake water. There were also lots of adult bunker on the screen but not the acres of bunker on the surface that you see off Belmar in Spring.

Spot77 12-08-2019 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finprof (Post 23875)
For some direct evidence on the fish changing behavior, I live in New Jersey most of the week but have a house and boat in St Michaels so I fish both Jersey and the Chesapeake. Last April my boat stayed in its slip in St Michaels and Dan's boat stayed on its trailer while we went on a six pack out of Raritan Bay.
The captain and mate were so sloppy that Dan was thinking there was no way we could catch fish with four rods and muddy parachute tandems. Dan was wrong. We caught a nice mid-30s fish about every 15 minutes and went over pods that were good enough to jig. These fish are staging to go up the Hudson and there is some recent evidence that they are going into the Raritan as well. The fishery in the Hudson keeps getting better while the Chesapeake keeps getting worse. The fish are probably not as numerous in Raritan Bay than they were in the Chesapeake simply because Raritan Bay is so much smaller so it doesn't mean that the stock is fine. We were fishing within sight of the New York skyline and the water was cleaner than any Chesapeake water. There were also lots of adult bunker on the screen but not the acres of bunker on the surface that you see off Belmar in Spring.

A couple of us here have a friend who charters out of Montauk. I think he spends most of his time in the ocean but I know he catches tons of great fish in Block Island Sound. The last time I fished with him he put me on a 40" Striper in about 5 minutes then said, "Ok can we go catch some real fish now?" as we headed out to catch sharks. I see pics all season long of his crews' catches. The variety of great fish in different species is amazing.

I think the upper and mid Chesapeake is doomed to mediocre fishing for a long time. DNR can make all the rules in the world but the pollution and general water quality is far more detrimental to the fishery.

But I know good seasons and bad seasons come and go, and they're often really hard to predict. :confused: