CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Looking for Parachute molds (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=525)

Old No.7 03-04-2010 10:09 AM

Looking for Parachute molds

I'm thinking of trying to start pouring and making some parachutes. Can someone point me in the right direction to buy molds, lead, hooks, paint etc...

P.S. Can't wait to see how this turns into "you think making your own chutes is gonna catch you a 40" YOU'RE WRONG!" HAHA :D

Fish Nut 03-04-2010 11:47 AM

If your just playing around I would go with the DO IT molds. They are cheep and make great lures. Shawn Collins makes the better molds but they are expensive and take a long time to get. 3- 6 months. I am just finding out that this time of year is not the best time to be ordering supplies. Everyone is out of stock on most supplies needed for tying parachutes

For molds and hooks go to SRMO.com
For paint powder paint TJ tackle.com

spynet000 03-04-2010 01:04 PM

i'll sell you all of my stuff:D its not worth it unless you are going to sell them. Even then there isn't much profit to be made. Its hard to justify what you would spend on everything unless you were running a business and were able to expense the equipment and materials. They take longer than you think to make, especially if you are anal about the way they look.

Go with the do-its if you do get into it. They are easy to machine yourself and are fairly cheap. Barlow has good prices. Just ordered some more jig molds yesterday.

tacklemake 03-04-2010 01:10 PM

By the time you buy the lead,lead pot,hooks,fish hair,thread,paint,eyes,tying vise,molds and if you use powder paint you need an oven. If you pour inside you good ventilation ,and after all of that trial and error.You will find out its cheaper to buy then make them for yourself.

Fish Nut 03-04-2010 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spynet000 (Post 5037)
i'll sell you all of my stuff:D its not worth it unless you are going to sell them. Even then there isn't much profit to be made. Its hard to justify what you would spend on everything unless you were running a business and were able to expense the equipment and materials. They take longer than you think to make, especially if you are anal about the way they look.

Go with the do-its if you do get into it. They are easy to machine yourself and are fairly cheap. Barlow has good prices. Just ordered some more jig molds yesterday.

Truer words couldn’t have been written.

I started making parachutes as a sudo therapy for my father during his recovery from knee surgery. It worked out great. However, now I am tying trout bombs feather jigs and replacement feather hooks for the cheep trolling spoons I purchased at tri state. It’s a nice way to pass the time on a snowy day.

I could have bought more parachute lures than I would have ever needed if I took the money I have wrapped up in a pot, molds, hooks and paint.

I am making some nice lures and really tweaking my spread now.

5th Tuition 03-04-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish Nut (Post 5039)
Truer words couldn’t have been written.
I started making parachutes as a sudo therapy for my father during his recovery from knee surgery. It worked out great.

Rob; are you thinking about not making your parachute lures? Does this mean I have to WACK him in the other knee to keep him busy:D?
5th (Marty)