CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   Fishing Reports (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   What's that smell ? (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=3641)

5th Tuition 10-22-2019 11:53 AM

What's that smell ?

Hey friends,
Just wanted to let you know I went out Monday evening; and got skunked:mad:
With all the wind/rain we have had lately, last evening looked like it was going to be beautiful from early afternoon to dark. It was:D Fishing wasn't:eek:

Heard to the Tolchester area where I have been fishing birds/breaking fish for the last two hrs of sunlight. Rolled up on small terns. I know better than to trust these "liar birds" as they usually are over small undersized fish. Nothing else working, so, true to form, these birds were working 8-10 inch rock.

Dropped the trolling spread, hoping to find some deeper larger fish hanging out near some drop-offs. Nobody home:mad::mad:

Decided to break out some food and simply drift watching the meter for fish and the sky for birds to appear. Nothing !!

As daylight was slowly disappearing, I ran back toward home stopping at a few past productive places. Found boats jigging/trolling but noone putting fish in the boat.

Current was supposed to be slack around 3pm, and we should have worked moving water after that until dark. Tide never switched over. Crab pot floats simply bobbed up and down showing no current.

Moved even closer to home and checked out the area behind 7 ft knoll that holds fish. Again, nobody home. Turned the running lights on and moved to the knoll itself. Final thought was to throw some topwater over top of the rocke and tempt some fish on either side of the rocks. Had some marks deep just off the structure, but couldn't get anything off those marks either.

Ran in surrounded by darkness (yes I did change out of my sunglasses):eek::eek: Have you ever done that?? Get back to the slip and take off the sunglasses and say, "Damn, I could have fished another half hour."

It's been a while since I pulled a skunk, but it happens. Not the worst thing. Had a ball on the water with two friends who know that fishing verses catching is always a possibility. It happens:)

Hopefully, next trip is productive. Stay dry, dress a little warmer. Go fish !!
5th

Finprof 10-22-2019 03:14 PM

Tolchester

Dan (Onemorecast) and I were on his boat in the area on Columbus Day - I had the day off and he doesn't work Mondays. There was a group of big nasty birds sitting on the water between Love Point and Tolchester, perhaps a bit closer to Tolchester than Love Point. Although the birds never worked, the first time we went through the area three of the four rod spread went down. I think one of the umbrellas had two fish. Every time we went back through the area we would pick up at least one fish.
Earlier we went to from Sandy Point to below Thomas Point, across to Bloody Point and the Eastern Shore and then back up above the bridge until we got into the fish. He put 70 miles on his boat.
I have been doing well up in the Miles River on my boat but did not go out last weekend so things could have changed.

Mako mike 10-25-2019 06:44 AM

Damn I guess I should feel good that I gat my limit on Thursday and back by noon on top of that. Equaled one fish per hour but got em