CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   Fishing Reports (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Going to the Pokey..... (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=1420)

Spot77 09-27-2011 02:36 PM

Going to the Pokey.....

....aka Pocomoke River.

We do an annual camping and fishing trip tehre at Shad Landing every year. We've boycotted the past 2 years due to the state's "No Alcohol" policy.

I really enjoy fishing on the river there, and I also like to have a beer or 4 before going to bed.:mad:

So we've cut our trip from 6 to 3.5 days, and we're only doing it every 2 to 3 years. The other years we spend our money at private campgrounds on or near the water.

So wish me luck as we chase down the Largemouth, Crappie, Pickerel and Yellow Perch this weekend.

Gotta' go load up on some lures now.....and fill up my flask....:D

Southerly 09-27-2011 07:28 PM

i haven't ever been there but it sounds like good stuff!

Steve F 09-28-2011 08:12 AM

Sounds like a fun time Scott, just hope the weather holds out for ya. I used to fish the Pocomoke back in the early 80's and we caught a lot of good Largemouth bass, in fact I missed winning a tournament by a once one year. Have a good time…

Spot77 09-28-2011 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southerly (Post 11321)
i haven't ever been there but it sounds like good stuff!

It's said to be one of the deepest rivers given its width in the world. I've seen depths of 25'+ on my depth finder as far up as 1 mile from Snow Hill.

Even 10' from shore, in many places the water is up to 15' deep.

Makes for some nice drop offs to catch fish on.

In addition to the fish we're targeting (in my first post) there's also Shad, Catfish, White Perch, Bluegill, Red Ear, Gar and a few other species there to catch. Once in a while a Rockfish will find it's way up there. :D

The Shad Landing area of the Pocomoke River State Park is an excellent campground with lots of amenities....canoe and boat rentals, cabin rentals, campsites for tents, pop-ups and RVs, a pool, great hiking trails, a nice little pond with Bass, Bluegill and Trout stocked in it and a nice camp store and shower facilities.

Spot77 09-28-2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve F (Post 11325)
Sounds like a fun time Scott, just hope the weather holds out for ya. I used to fish the Pocomoke back in the early 80's and we caught a lot of good Largemouth bass, in fact I missed winning a tournament by a once one year. Have a good time…

Thanks Steve!

I've won 3 tournaments ther over the years, 2 Bass Tourneys and 1 Crappie Tourney.

I'll bet the 80's were fantastic there. In the early 90's there was the big pfysteria outbreak which affected the Pocomoke Sound and western most part of the river.We started fishing there in the mid 2000's and things seem to have recovered nicely.

Spot77 10-02-2011 04:31 PM

So I caught 7 different species, all on a gold Super Duper. :D

White Perch
Yellow Perch
Crappie
Pickerel
Largemouth
Bluegill
Catfish

My biggest Largemouth weren't much to write home about, but I got most of them on a Zoom Junebug/Chartreuse finesse worm texas rigged with a 1/16th ounce weight.

A few nice Pickerel attacked a red Booyah buzzbait.

Almost all of the action came on the edges of the spatterdock.

The fish were probably a little pressured with three separate bass tourneys happening Thursday through Saturday. :rolleyes:

Spot77 10-04-2011 01:24 PM

Those Toothy Critters.......

1 Attachment(s)
.....are some of the most fun fish to catch!

They'll hit topwater, crankbaits, softbats, live bait.....

This little guy went after a red buzzbait burning across the water.

http://www.cbangler.com/attachment.p...0&d=1317752658

5th Tuition 10-05-2011 09:20 PM

Holy crap; calm down bro, you look like you're just busting with joy over that catch:D. Check out that big grin from ear to ear:rolleyes:.

Did you just come from a botox party:eek:.

Sorry, just bustin your b___s, I'm tired from fishing all day, and probably look the same way tonight. It just struck me funny:). I owe you a beer at the next PSG meeting.
5th (Marty)

Spot77 10-06-2011 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 11346)
Holy crap; calm down bro, you look like you're just busting with joy over that catch:D. Check out that big grin from ear to ear:rolleyes:.

Did you just come from a botox party:eek:.

Sorry, just bustin your b___s, I'm tired from fishing all day, and probably look the same way tonight. It just struck me funny:). I owe you a beer at the next PSG meeting.
5th (Marty)

That IS my happy face! Well that's what my wife would say anyway. I think I was in a hurry to get the fish back in the water since we were in a good spot and the fish were biting.