CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   Fishing Reports (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   10/16 (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=3574)

Mako mike 10-16-2018 07:38 AM

10/16

Should be epic..... more to follow

5th Tuition 10-16-2018 08:28 PM

Haha;
Mako Mike thought that because he was going with Lucky Jay and me on 5th Tuition, it was going to be epic:D
We got fish, but it was far from epic:mad:

I had my mind set on going south today. Winds were dropping out to "calm" around 2pm, so we left the dock at noon.
My hope was to find birds working somewhere along the way. North of the bridge, we couldn't find a bird sitting or flying.
South of the bridge, we saw a few birds sitting about a 1/2 mile south of the bridge. Nothing under them, so we rolled south again.
The western side has been hit hard by charters and private boats, so I ran the eastern side where I found some 24-26 inch fish last week.
Again, nobody home.
As we approached Bloody Point Light, we saw about 20 birds flying high and some sitting. None working, but enough activity to put out 9 boat rods.
Again, nobody home:mad::mad:

Pulled trolling rods and ran into Eastern Bay. Glassed the area and saw birds working in a lot of different areas. Snuck up on them and tried to jig. Caught a few dinks, and decided to put out the trolling rods.
My theory was that the 6 inch tsunami shads on jig heads would eliminate the dinks.
We still caught a bunch of 17-18 inch fish, but we also picked up some keepers. The rods were so active, we cut it down to 3 rods:eek: We missed a couple of "nice" fish, but managed to put a couple of 22 inch fish in the cooler alongside the one 19 1/2 first fish:)
While we trolled 3 rods, Mike grabbed the center rod with a fish on it. Suddenly, the rod next to that one went down hard. Mike put the first rod back in the holder and brought in a nice 30 inch fish (pic below).
Mike was whipped, so he took the wheel and put us on a few more keepers. With 5 in the box, we decided to jig the last keeper. I'm sure we could have produced another keeper trolling, but hey, we wanted at least to get the jigging rods wet and have a chance to produce our 6th fish.
Alas, it was not to be. We ran back to Bodkin Creek on the western side looking for birds outside the West, South, Severn, and Magothy rivers. Not enough action to stop on, so we continued to Belvedere Shoal for our last opportunity. Again, nobody home, so we pulled into the slip at 6:23pm.
Cleaned the fish and headed home to a nice home cooked meal of pork chops, mashed potatoes, sauerkraut , and apple sauce. Yum:D

Great day on the water with friends. Boat got a good run, batteries must be well charged:)
Pic from iPhone below.
5th

5th Tuition 10-16-2018 08:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mako Mike with his 30 inch fish.

5th Tuition 10-16-2018 08:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
5 for dinner :)

Chessie27 10-17-2018 04:30 AM

Looks like the Weatherman got it right this time; can’t get too much flatter than Mike’s background. Good job finding some; Margaret and I went for a few hours Sunday off Rock Hall/Love Point with only 3 shorts to show for it.