CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Weekend (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=1046)

Bend-Lure 09-30-2010 10:16 AM

Weekend

I have some friends coming in from out of town this weekend. Is it even worth trying to get out on the bay Saturday or Sunday? I have to imagine the water will be chocolate milk strewn with railroad ties, trees, garbage etc. Anyone think differently??

5th Tuition 09-30-2010 10:38 AM

Sounds like a good time to charter:eek:.
Seriously, some captains might know of some out of the way places that hold fish where the dirty water might not be so bad.
If it's just a few guys, check out Captain Wayne Morgan (frayed knot) or Steve Goings (can't remember his boat:mad:).
They run small charters out of the Deal area and will try their best to put you on fish no matter what the conditions.
If you don't catch any fish, at least you did all you could to help your buddies.
5th (Marty)

p.s. someone help me out with Steve's boat name; or post a link for Wayne and Steve:).

drichitt 09-30-2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 8464)
p.s. someone help me out with Steve's boat name; or post a link for Wayne and Steve:).

Steve Goins' boat name is Sandpiper (Sandpiper Charters) 443-223-2218 www.goinsfishin.com; Wayne Morgan 202-438-2403

drichitt 09-30-2010 10:47 AM

Rain is forecasted for every week day, next week....WTF...Guess I will look for some last minute cruise specials.

Rivercat09 09-30-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drichitt (Post 8466)
Rain is forecasted for every week day, next week....WTF...Guess I will look for some last minute cruise specials.

Doh! :mad:I guess it will be time to catch up on stuff such as looking at my livewell pump.

Skip 09-30-2010 01:26 PM

It often takes 2-4 days for muddy run off to reach the bay bridge area.

Even then - the east side often has cleaner water.

I've seen Sandy Point look like chocolate milk - yet just 8 miles SE off #86 - it be clear down 2-3 feet.

Also - keep in mind the bay was very salty this year. The run off will be freshwater - this tends to ride on top of the salty water.
FYI: This is why icebergs float.

Often putting lures deep will get to the cleaner salty water.
Watch your meter - turn it up high - should show the salt/fresh water line. Most times - it is about 12 feet down off Bay Bridge area.

FWIW: Incoming current - raising tide - often brings cleaner water then outgoing does. I've been diving with 2 feet of viz. on last of incoming - then lose the viz. once outgoing starts.

5th Tuition 09-30-2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drichitt (Post 8465)
Steve Goins' boat name is Sandpiper (Sandpiper Charters) 443-223-2218 www.goinsfishin.com; Wayne Morgan 202-438-2403

Thanks Don; All I could think of was Joededog charters; And I knew that was wrong:eek:; I was having a "senior moment".

No need for a cruise, how about we all have a fishing meeting at McDoogles:eek:.

5th (Marty)

Bend-Lure 09-30-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip (Post 8468)

Also - keep in mind the bay was very salty this year. The run off will be freshwater - this tends to ride on top of the salty water.
FYI: This is why icebergs float.

I'm pretty sure icebergs would float in fresh water also. Does Letterman still do the "Will it Float" bit?

Anyway - 2-4 days from all the rain last night and today would be this weekend. Maybe the clouds will lift and we will get a good ariel view of the bay tomorrow.

Thanks guys. Looks like they are killing the red drum down in Chincoteague. Maybe I will take the long rods down to the beach this weekend instead.

drichitt 09-30-2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 8469)
how about we all have a fishing meeting at McDoogles:eek:.

5th (Marty)

Ok...when? I am a bachelor this week.

drichitt 09-30-2010 03:58 PM

Don't forget all of the rain we had earlier this week:mad:.